• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MLB 2014 Season - any other Baseball fans out there ?

tallhair

Rufus "Mod-hair" Firefly
Staff member
Local time
6:06 PM
Reaction score
Posting up the 2nd annual FBBO Baseball thread for those that follow hard ball. I'm a lifelong STL Cardinals fan so I'll be supporting the boys with the Birds on the Bat and rooting them on to hopefully another great season and with luck, continued postseason success.

I look forward to any discussion and friendly rivalry. Good luck to you and your teams and here's hoping for a healthy season for all our teams. Please root for and share anything you'd like about your team, ballpark, team history, up and coming prospects .. whatever you like about your hometown or boyhood favorites or stadium etc.

May the best team win .. tomorrow is opening day !!!!!!

opening-day.jpg

The Cards home opener will be next Monday and I'm thinking about trying to go but we'll see :)

There's a lot for Cardinals fans to be excited about like seeing more of our young players and looking forward to the seeing first hand the new Ball Park Village that has just opened and getting down to the new Cardinals Hall of Fame Museum that will be there.

4.jpg

Big Twins fan here. It has been a rough past few years, but they will always be my team. Got to watch them beat the Rangers last year down in Arlington. First game I have been to in many years since I was stationed overseas for so long. Was a little pissed though, because the day before the game they traded Morneau to the Pirates and Mauer was back home recovering from a concussion. Was hoping to see both of them, but we got the win so it was all good. And a buddy hooked me up with some seats right next to the Twins dugout and I got a chance to talk to Gardy and a few players before the game. All in all, it was a pretty great day!

Cool story Plumcrazy .. I was playing fantasy baseball a couple years ago and Mauer was one of my most consistent players 2 years running .. and an excellent option for me because he qualified at 1st and catching. I hope he's able to stay healthy and in your lineup.

The best and oldest rivalry for a St Louis fan would be??? Wait for it!!!! Chicago Cubs and Cardinals. You are most likely aware of that fact even though you are down in the Southern part of Illinois. But purely one of the best 2 teams to spend an afternoon at the old ball park with. So I guess by now you all can tell I am a Cubs fan. Looking forward to at least having a productive season but who knows? Any way...Baseball is back and as a Baseball Nut, I am syked. Oh and here is a prediction for you all....

CUBS.jpg

The best and oldest rivalry for a St Louis fan would be??? Wait for it!!!! Chicago Cubs and Cardinals. You are most likely aware of that fact even though you are down in the Southern part of Illinois. But purely one of the best 2 teams to spend an afternoon at the old ball park with. So I guess by now you all can tell I am a Cubs fan. Looking forward to at least having a productive season but who knows? Any way...Baseball is back and as a Baseball Nut, I am syked. Oh and here is a prediction for you all....

View attachment 178547

Yep well aware and I'm hoping for a better season for your cubbies. They are doing the right thing and building for the long term so they will be a force in the NL Central soon enough if they stay the course.

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers Budnicks ... I root for the A's in the post season too as long as they aren't playing the Cards .. gotta love Coco Crisp and I see they just extended him.

Yep well aware and I'm hoping for a better season for your cubbies. They are doing the right thing and building for the long term so they will be a force in the NL Central soon enough if they stay the course.

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers Budnicks ... I root for the A's in the post season too as long as they aren't playing the Cards .. gotta love Coco Crisp and I see they just extended him.

Budnicks...I really like the A's chances They are kinda like the Cubs only in the AL. But I do like their chances. I have also been a latent Giants fan ever since I moved out here from Chi-town and prefer the NL style of Baseball verses the AL. Absolutely hate the DH. I haven't checked the schedule yet but I wonder if the Cubs/A's will get a chance this season to play inter-league? They had some good preseason games down in Phoenix this Spring. Just hate where they have to play in the Coliseum so I will watch on Direct TV's MLB package that I subscribe to. As I said earlier, I am a Baseball Nut. Next to Golf it is my favorite sport and game. Go Cubs!!!!

Thanks Tallhair...I knew you would know of where I was coming from. Your Red Birds are and have always been a force to reckon with in the NL Central. Their record has proven it. One of the best Catchers in Baseball is Molina. Our Castillio wants to become as great as Javier and that is a good start to emulate. The Cubs are doing the right thing I believe. It has been a very long time for us with some really disappointing misses. The previous owners were not as astute Businessmen as the Ricketts are. As is said "GOTTA BELIEVE". It is the lament of a Cubs Fan but we will be a force pretty soon to be recond with. Milwaukee as close to Chi-town as it is, is a good club but won't be a factor just yet. Just too small a market and too close to Chi-Town. Cincinnati has pitching issue this season to start but might be a sleeper. Pittsburgh we open tomorrow with and they are always tough having proved themselves last season by making the playoffs. Best endorsement that the Cubs received was from Andrew McCutchen last season when he said in the press that he is liking what he is seeing from the Cubs and to stay the course as they have had too. My take...It is the best division in all Baseball. Who will wind up on top is any body's guess right now. Your Red Birds have the advantage as a Championship caliber team and have proven themselves right now as the top team in the Central. But it should be a fun season and should my beloved Cubs not be a contender then I will route for my second team, The Cardinals. Even though I am tired of them doing it all the time...

Very exciting times in the NL Central indeed Tuck and the National League in general ... Nationals, Pirates, Reds have all improved dramatically become contenders and yes Cubbies will be too. I think the rundown on the NL last I read was Dodgers, Nationals and then Cards .. but last season was close all year in the Central .. so it will be tight competition for sure.

I'm happy about the Nats becoming championship caliber and another AL team I will root for is the Astros .. they've got a great GM in Jeff Lunhow and he will rebuild them if the owners continues to let him and I hope the fans get / stay behind both the stros and the cubbies so they can truly transform. I think the cubs fans are but you would known better than me. Better competition just makes for better baseball :)

Saw my first Yankee game in 65 been a fan ever since.... let the abuse commence.

Attachments

• ---new-york-yankees-223768_1500_1500.jpg
    ---new-york-yankees-223768_1500_1500.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 203
Tomorrow should be a great start to the season Bruzzila...Cubs @ Pirates...Tuck

- - - Updated - - -

I just don't know what to say????? A great old pillar franchise of MLB. But it's the YANKEES!!!!:pottytrain1::pottytrain1::pottytrain1: I do like their Manager though...Joe Gerardi...Actually took a former Cub and a Big Ten graduate to really make something out of the YAHKEES....:jerk:

Go Detroit Tigers!!!! Good luck to all the fans and their teams. Should be a good year for Baseball, especially if it ever starts warming up and really being Spring time. LOL.

Remember the first time that my pop took us to a baseball game at Tiger Stadium . . . walking through the tunnel to get to the stadium . . . and then busting out into the most beautiful manicured field - the deepest green you could believe - and wondering how they kept it so nice.

Tiger Stadium is no longer - but the memories of that first game, and all the rest of the games that we attended there - are priceless . . . ( smile ).

Still gotta pull for my Tigers . . . that's where I grew up and was introduced to baseball.

I would love to be a Mariners fan, but what they've been doing the last several years could hardly be called major league baseball. Any little leaguer knows that it takes more than two or three good players to make a winning team. I just knew that after the new stadium was built by the taxpayers that all of the promises of a competitive team would go out the window. I want my money back.:angryfire:

Still a KC Royals fan. I'm hoping we continue to build on the last couple years to make the run to the pennant.

This is GREAT!!!! I have to say this to all of you fans...With all the turmoil and such including our own Country, the one thing or event that truly binds us all together is the game of Baseball. It is America's pass time. Has been and will always be. It brought our Country together during the Civil War when prisoners, and opposing troops would drop what they were doing and play a game of Catch. Both WW 1 & 2 we played when we could and our enemy Japan at that time played as well. Now it is an international game to the fullest in both players in the Major Leagues and the International Leagues. As a kid growing up I would never have imagined how it has developed. The Old Tigers Stadium, Comiskey Park in Chicago, home of my other where I am from team, Ebbets Field in NY, the Polo Grounds, Fenway Park in Boston are some of the old places that the History of the game of Baseball was made. This year is the 100th Birthday of Weegham Field now known as Wrigley Field home of the Chicago Cubs. It along with Boston's Fenway are the last of the old time fields. Over the years of course changes have evolved. And new plans are in the works for a massive upgrade of Wrigley to the tune of over 500 million.

I can remember as a kid growing up, my Dad would get at times some tickets and take me and my 3 brothers along with friends to the Friendly Confines for an afternoon of Baseball. The smell of freshly cut grass and the Ivy just starting or in full bloom on the outfield walls. Batting Practice with home run caliber balls flying out the left and right field walls. Players warming up and running sprints getting ready for the first pitch to be thrown out by today's celebrity guest. Hot Dogs, Smoky Links, Old Style, Hamms, and Budweiser Beer, "Score Card Score Card, Cannot Tell The Players Without A Scorecard". The announcer stating, "PLAY BALL" and off the game went. "Hey Hey" as Jack Brickhouse would say. Ernie (Banks) just hit another one out of the Park. "Cubs Win Cubs Win" thanks to our most beloved announcer at that time, Harry Cary. And Ron Santo clicking his hells in the air as we whooped the mighty yet hated Mets. The elevated Train that ran to the Park making its schedule runs as the game played on. And the stands equally filled with Cardinal and Cub fans equally enjoying our favorite pass time. Yep guys...That is Baseball to me. Summer afternoons with the game being broadcast on the radio and the neighborhood kids picking which team we would be for today's game. Cubs or White Sox. Thanks so much Abner Doubleday...

So now the 2014 Season commences and hope is springing eternal that each and every one of our respective teams will win the game and eventually the World Series. It's what its all about. So let us

"PLAY BALL"...cr8crshr/Tuck:blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

I love the game....
great teams like 1976 Cincinatti Reds, 1998 New York Yankees,Oakland Athletics,1989. 1988. 1987. 1986. 1985. 1984. 1983. 1982. 1981. 1980. 1979. 1978 div champs & a few world series!........
:sign16:
and my favorite:World Series champions,1981 Los Angeles Dodgers!:angry1:

my "home" team is the Milwaukee Brewers,bob uecker is too funny!:icon_thumright:

I used to love to go early and watch "infield, outfield" ..a thing of the past....real men played and did not need inhancements to to improve the quality of play.

ok, go you Cubbies! loved when "Harry" would call the games~ also used to listen to the White SoX when Harry & Jimmy would broadcast!
Yes, Sonny Loves Baseball, it happens every spring.:love10:

I was born & raised in St Louis area so Cardinals are in the blood. Been to games in old Sportsmans Park, attended the dedication of Busch Stadium 1, and have even traveled back to take my grandson to games at new Busch Stadium. 2 years go took grand kid to a game on his 10th bday. Got a ball from #50 of the White Sox, pitcher John Danks. I told him it was the kids bday & he tossed him a ball. Kudos to him for that. Got the kids name up on the scoreboard as a "tip of the Cardinals Cap". Big deal to a farm kid from Hansen, Idaho! Go Cards!

Auto Transport Service
Back