• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mobil1 full synthetic vs Amazon basics full synthetic

Great video. Mobil 1 my second choice to Amsoil. Amsoil claims additive package to “massage” seals. Would like to see other brand comparisons by this guy.

Those tests are all meaningful to oil performance (not "fake tests") and the results are interesting. I think one good test they missed was measuring the oils' lubricity, but overall pretty good. Nice video

5-20 is too thin. Manufacturers recommend that for start up emissions numbers that are marginal at best. I use 0-30 in both modern Hemis for start up pumpability and high heat protection, don’t care what FCA says. Both run as new, quiet and smooth. 10-40 in the 440.

Pumpability Dennis? You sent me looking for my M/W Dictionary. Did you invent that word or is it a San Jose thing?....lol

That cold flow test is interesting, but I don't think it proves much. With a cold start and oil pressure at 60 psi, I'd bet all three flow about the same.

Just don’t want to hear start up rattle for 10 seconds. I made it up.

Ford powertrain engineer I know claims 5w20 came about to squeeze that last few tenths out for EPA MPG. His personal take is 10w30 is the best one size fits all oil.

Ford powertrain engineer I know claims 5w20 came about to squeeze that last few tenths out for EPA MPG. His personal take is 10w30 is the best one size fits all oil.
That has been my stance all along. I've had a GM powertrain engineer tell me the same thing. I still use 10W30 in my cars that call for 5W.

Auto Transport Service
Back