• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mocking up drive line

azmoparboy

Local time
5:33 AM
Reaction score
Hi to all of you veteran mopar mechanics,

I have a 1968 Charger in its early stages and wanted to do the alterations to the crossmember and floor early in the build. I have modified my 46RH with a ultra bell and have mated it with my 383 block and have it sitting in the car. The big question is, what is the angle of the engine and transmission sitting in the body of the car? I have the car level. I’ve cut the center of the crossmember out, hammered out the floor in numerous places and I have the engine and transmission sitting at 6* down. As I understand, this is the starting point to achieving the driveline angles as they are needed. Should the transmission go higher in the tunnel? I’m just looking for the most optimum angle of the transmission and engine so I only have to be do this one time correctly. Any help from one of you that have gone through this and have achieved success would be greatly appreciated.

Azmoparboy,
Steve

I believe typical Mopar is two or three degrees down. I would try to get the trans higher. That's the major problem area with an O.D. swap.

Sorry Mike, I only have the block bolted to the transmission. I’m take the angle measurement off of the bearing journals in the block straight back with a straight edge. You can’t get any better measurement than that. For what 33 IMP just posted, I’m think he is right. Hopefully someone will chime in and give me the factory spec, or drawing that would indicate the dimension, angle to the output shaft of the transmission.

Steve

Sorry Mike, I only have the block bolted to the transmission. I’m take the angle measurement off of the bearing journals in the block straight back with a straight edge. You can’t get any better measurement than that. For what 33 IMP just posted, I’m think he is right. Hopefully someone will chime in and give me the factory spec, or drawing that would indicate the dimension, angle to the output shaft of the transmission.

Steve
For what it's worth, I agree with 33 IMP. You need a little more research on the subject and I'm sure it exists on this site. There is much more available on the internet.
Mike

I did some trial and error experimenting with numerous combinations of engine and pinion angles. It took about a day to come up with an acceptable start to the angles of the engine and differential. As it stands now I have the engine at 2.8° down. The car is still not completely built so I thought that I would stop for now because I should not try to get it perfect at this time, but I do have it close. Thanks for your input, it did help.

Auto Transport Service
Back