• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody?

66ChargerHI-PO

Local time
11:18 PM
Reaction score
Hi All,

As some of you may know my stepfather is building a 1966 Dodge Charger with a big block 383, here is the build thread if anyone wants to follow it. https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/so-it-begins-1966-charger-restification.182338/. We have the engine mainly together and basically all we have left is the air conditioning, condenser, and radiator. I maybe missing a couple of things, anyway our plan is to put modern air conditioning in and NOT use the big and heavy RV2 to save a bit of weight and get cooler air. We are thinking of buying the Stage 2 Performance Kit from Original Air for $850.00, here is a picture and the link. I know @Kern Dog went with Classic Auto Air for his Charger so maybe he could chime in here. We are looking for suggestions opinions and what have you about modern air conditioning prices and such, is there anything a bit cheaper than $850.00 with what we are looking for. Anybody? Any help, knowledge etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone
0019548_66-70-chargersatellite-ac-performance-upgrade-kit-big-block-stage-2.jpeg
https://www.originalair.com/66-70-b...0-134a-engine-compartment-upgrade-kit-stage-2

Thanks for thinking of me but I'm not sure how I can help. I'll do what I can though.
The individual parts start adding up pretty fast. By nature, I am often looking for a way to do something myself for less than just buying a kit. I've never bought a crate engine, I've always built them myself. I've only bought one brake kit, a rear disc setup from Dr Diff. With my limited experience with A/C stuff, I just went with a complete kit.
I could see that the 68-70 B body kit would be about 70 % correct for use in a 66-67 model, the remaining 30 % being the interior controls and the dash ducting. I made a few changes to my setup in the interest of a cleaner appearance.

We would like to keep the interior controls and dash ducting original and not mess with them.

I can understand that.
My heater and A/C didn't work when I bought the car and it wasn't until last year that I drove it in cold weather with a real heater. I never developed an opinion on the stock controls but the mere idea of vacuum and electric controls didn't sit well with me. My control panel looks a lot different than stock but fits in the same spot. That was enough for me.

IMG_2700.JPG
HVAC Z4.jpg

Are you using the stock fan from the engine or putting on a electric one. I don't see it in the kit?. Do you have a evac pump once it's installed to get a good vacuum and get the moisture out. Kits can be great but most folks run the lines different ways other than what the kit says to do. Ask alot of questions before you buy one just to make sure you get what you want.

Also remember that the factory fan speed is different because it ran r12 in it. You will be running 134a which you most likely will have the fan speed on high most of the time. Also when you wire the clutch and pressure switches that your input power is a steady 12volts or you will get clutch slippage. Not to mention make a good ground also.

Thanks for thinking of me but I'm not sure how I can help. I'll do what I can though.
The individual parts start adding up pretty fast. By nature, I am often looking for a way to do something myself for less than just buying a kit. I've never bought a crate engine, I've always built them myself. I've only bought one brake kit, a rear disc setup from Dr Diff. With my limited experience with A/C stuff, I just went with a complete kit.
I could see that the 68-70 B body kit would be about 70 % correct for use in a 66-67 model, the remaining 30 % being the interior controls and the dash ducting. I made a few changes to my setup in the interest of a cleaner appearance.
Kd, you install looks great

Looks like a decent retro-fit kit if using the stock AC / Heater box and controls.

Why would 134 need the fan on high?

I have 134 in an RV2 system.

My fan is on medium and it freezes me out most of the time.

The phrase "ice cold AC" was coined to describe the RV2 pump system.

Just saying most of the boys around here need to run on high when using old cage and motor. Most newer motors put out more rpms and the cage has more find in it. Maybe he will and maybe he won't. Just throwing it out there.

I went with Classic Auto Air's engine compartment upgrade kit in 2016 for my 67 Coronet (with Charger grill). I too wanted to use the stock interior heater box and controls. I've messed with retrofitting AC into other cars and I was glad to be able to get a kit for this car. There were a few minor fitment issue, and the guys were great at helping me work thru them, including sending me a replacement hard line that was slightly different, a known issue with Chargers I was told. I ended up getting a new heater core from them also, and their Original Air Group rebuilt my OEM heater control valve. I am very happy with the build quality of all their components and the system has been working flawlessly these past few years. Along with the excellent heater box rebuilt gasket kit from Detroit Muscle Technologies, I would highly recommend this kit.

20160601_173359.jpg

Hi All,

Well we decided to pull the trigger on the Stage 2 kit from Original Air today, we paid the $850.00 and turns out we had to pay $72.00 Florida tax also. The kit comes with a new condenser, now that being said our original is now for sale if anyone is interested. Just PM me. We were debating on using Bouchillon, but they did not have a phone number to call so we same forget it and got the kit above in post one. That said thank you everyone for your input.

Auto Transport Service
Back