• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Challenger Rusty Engine Blocks

MoparGuy68

Local time
1:02 AM
Reaction score
When to look at a few Challengers today. I’ve been noticing surface rust on the engine blocks of modern Challengers that are only 1 to 2 years old. Have you guys seen surface rust on your 5.7L and or 6.4L Challenger blocks after only a year or so? It looks like they don’t paint the engine blocks at the factory, instead leaving the metal bare.

I remember seeing rust on the block of a Challenger 50 year anniversary model this past summer.

The alternators look like they are 15 years old when they’re only 1 or 2 years old. I think the 20 year old alternator in my Accord looks better than the alternator I saw, today, in a two year old Challenger.

I always thought that rust around the engine was a side effect of an engine that doesn't leak oil.
I've had a couple of Toyotas that the engines run forever but the k members rusted out.

I have a 2004 Ram and a '12 Charger with the 5.7. I don't notice any undue rust on either -
oh, and they're both fantastic engines. Nary a problem with either to date, knock wood.

The new Hemi blocks have a high Nickle content. That could be one reason.

Actually, the surface rust I saw was probably on the engine heads (like on the passenger side, outer front/side corner area). It was definitely surface rust. In searching online, I've seen other people say that they have found rust on their heads and poorly/thin orange painted engine blocks (they were talking about Scat Pack 6.4 engines). I've seen the rust on 5.7 engines. They said you have to really look hard to see the blocks in these cars. I'll have to look at the car more carefully again.

I was looking at a 5.7 R/T, yesterday, to potentially purchase. On the underside of the car, I did find some surface rust on both mufflers, at the rear, near the tail pipe attachment point. The car is only 2 years old with less than 10K miles.

I just don't know that much about what these Modern Dodge engines are made of. Looks like the blocks are cast iron. The heads too? Here is a thread showing photos of rusty surfaces on blocks it looks like: https://www.challengertalk.com/threads/what-is-this-rust-on-my-new-engine.676024/

Maybe the 5.7s are not painted orange like the bigger V8s. Maybe this is common, for these made in Mexico engines.. It was unexpected for me to see it on a car that is only 2 years old or less. So I have to decide if I want to pay $40K+ for a 2 year old car with surface rust on the engine.

5.7 blocks are painted black, 6.1 painted orange not sure of the 6.2 and 6.4. All gen 3 hemi heads are aluminium

Haven’t noticed on 6.2, 6.4, or 5.7. Other components seem to pit up quick top front.

not challenger,but truck hemis,
i have pulled a few of those 5.7-s,2 were low miles and besides that crazy mounting system,
one of the things i Did notice was that every one of the motors - the black paint was bubbling off the motors,flakes right off.
every one of the blocks is rusty underneath the paint....poor prep?..poor paint?
keeping in mind i live in the northeast/salt/snow/dirt.

also,related comment on the alternators,i think all the big three stopped coating them for corrosion back in the early 90-s,those have been notorious for years and ive actually bought/been given vehicles that had a locked up motor" only to discover once home the alt was locked up,motors fine,vehicles fine.
had that happen a Lot up here in new york.

They said you have to really look hard to see the blocks in these
cars. I'll have to look at the car more carefully again.
You can see pretty much the entirety of the engine in the '04 Ram; you have to be under the Charger to see it well.
Again - no appreciable rust to report. Paint job ain't much to write home about on either engine, though. Truck has 170k miles and is a lifer TN vehicle.

I was looking at a 5.7 R/T, yesterday, to potentially purchase. On the underside of the car, I did find some surface rust on both mufflers, at the rear, near the tail pipe attachment point. The car is only 2 years old with less than 10K miles.
Our '12 R/T has nothing to speak of at all and actually, I had always planned on gutting the amazingly muffled
exhaust on it one day - but due to it having MDS, they sound weird with louder exhaust when it's in 4 cylinder mode,
sort of like a helicopter. :)
Now pushing a decade old though, the damn exhaust hasn't rotted out and given me an excuse to replace it...
wife likes it quiet, you know.
Charger has 90k on it and we've been the only owner.

Lots of 'flood-damaged cars' floating around
(no pun intended) out there too

cars near the ocean
or areas with high humidity,
or high salt'd air or salted roads etc.
or the rustbelt by the great lakes etc. etc. etc.

I'd think it'd be sort of normal
not areas like the SW desert, Az

I bought the car on Monday.. After 23 years without one, I now have a Challenger again..

Auto Transport Service
Back