• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modify 6bbl Air Cleaner Baseplate?

SixBarrelBill

Local time
5:47 AM
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm getting close on the final conversion for my 1970 Roadrunner from a non-air grabber to an air grabber. Right now it has a non-fresh air six barrel air cleaner base plate.

I was curious as to if any of you have ever removed the little metal flap on the front part of the base plate to convert it for fresh air? Looks like it's just held in with some pinch welds. I was thinking about drilling those out and removing that front lip. Then I guess I have to weld up the holes, do a little body work and paint. It is not an original base plate so I don't mind modifying it a bit.

Thanks, Bill
PXL_20210404_220708490.jpg

Sounds like the best way to accomplish what you want to do. Drill the spot welds and plug weld the holes slick it up then a little paint and done!

I removed mine by gently grinding through the shield. No welding required.

Considering it's the correct air cleaner for many cars & wasn't reproduced as far as I know were as the non-shield version was for many many years I'd offer to swap it for the base you want....

Considering it's the correct air cleaner for many cars & wasn't reproduced as far as I know were as the non-shield version was for many many years I'd offer to swap it for the base you want....

That actually sounds like a better plan than me cutting this one up. It's in great shape, there's nothing wrong with it. If you're willing to swap me a fresh air six barrel base for this one I'll definitely consider it. Can you PM me some pictures of the base you have and I will take some of mine as well?

Thanks!!

I don't have or need one but I'm sure someone here does.....

Auto Transport Service
Back