• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modifying triangulated 4 link?

1967coronet440

Local time
5:31 AM
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has modified a traingulated 4 link to help with launch while drag racing. As my build has progressed, so has the power my new motor is going to make, I have the Reilly Motorsport street lynx system. I plan on adding a sway bar which should help but I was also thinking maybe add another set of parallel links from the cross bar to the axle housing? Would that even do anything? Opinions, comments, suggestions.

Thanks.

IMG_0732.PNG IMG_0755.PNG

That wont do much if anything at all. Why do you want to adjust the link system? Is it not working anymore?

When you get really into links and how they are setup it gets pretty complex. Right now you need to know where your "instant center" is to start with if you want to make adjustments to the squat/anti-squat settings.

That wont do much if anything at all. Why do you want to adjust the link system? Is it not working anymore?

When you get really into links and how they are setup it gets pretty complex. Right now you need to know where your "instant center" is to start with if you want to make adjustments to the squat/anti-squat settings.
I'm still installing the link system, just going off what I've read seems the triangular version 4 link isn't great for drag racing. Figured I would come here looking for insight. Worst comes to worst I'll cut it out next year if I'm not happy and go with a parallel system

Oh, your talking about instead of the V like a 3 link, you want to go parallel upper links. Yea, you definitely want that for drag racing as far as I know.

You made it sound like your adding more bars. You'll have to modify the rear end mounts to accomplish this.

Do you have anyone locally that does fab work in the off road world? Link systems are very common in that type of motorsport.

Or I can give you a number to call. These guys do offroad/drag car fab work for a living and would probably be able to steer you in the right direction. Very helpful people.

Oh, your talking about instead of the V like a 3 link, you want to go parallel upper links. Yea, you definitely want that for drag racing as far as I know.

You made it sound like your adding more bars. You'll have to modify the rear end mounts to accomplish this.

Do you have anyone locally that does fab work in the off road world? Link systems are very common in that type of motorsport.

Or I can give you a number to call. These guys do offroad/drag car fab work for a living and would probably be able to steer you in the right direction. Very helpful people.
Ya I have some local shops I can go to, problem is budget there's not much left. Lol

I don't think the issue is so much with the "triangulated" part of the system but rather that the upper links are positioned "conveniently" as opposed to "ideally". Any race 4-link system has the upper links a) longer and b) higher (usually up into the rear seat area). As well both uppers and lowers have multiple adjustment holes.

If you want it to do dual duty you should consider giving both upper and lower bars more adjustment at the front mounting points BUT because the upper bars are so short on these systems, I don't think you can make adjustment holes close enough and still retain any strength in those brackets.

Plot out the geometry on a sheet of paper and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

I don't think the issue is so much with the "triangulated" part of the system but rather that the upper links are positioned "conveniently" as opposed to "ideally". Any race 4-link system has the upper links a) longer and b) higher (usually up into the rear seat area). As well both uppers and lowers have multiple adjustment holes.

If you want it to do dual duty you should consider giving both upper and lower bars more adjustment at the front mounting points BUT because the upper bars are so short on these systems, I don't think you can make adjustment holes close enough and still retain any strength in those brackets.

Plot out the geometry on a sheet of paper and you'll understand what I'm talking about.
I understand what you're saying, I've been researching since my build has went from a pro touring oriented to more towards drag racing. How would you rate the triangular streeet lynx system that I have to magnum forcees pro link parallel 4 link set up? Seems the pro link is the superior system especially when it comes to drag racing.

http://www.magnumforce.com/magnumstore/mobile/item.aspx?itemid=19

I think if you're planning to do a fair bit of drag racing you should forget about these "compromising" 4-links and run something that's more race oriented but still street-friendly. I'd go with a CalTracs mono-leaf system. Still streetable BUT proven on the drag strip. And a lot less money both for the system and the labor to install.

Auto Transport Service
Back