• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monster Mopar or bust

dvw

Local time
2:02 AM
Reaction score
I must really want to go Monster Mopar bad. After breaking the racecar motor I decided to dust off my Volare Road Runner. It last ran 2010 Monster Mopar when it spit the upper blower drive hub into the hood. It's been parked 10 years since. Got the hub fixed a few years ago but never put it back together. It was parked in my neighbors garage. Out of sight, out of mind. I've had the intake off. Freed up a stuck lifter. Found the #3 cylinder filled with bird seed, sunflower seeds and peanuts. Cleaned all that out. Interior was filled with seed, half eaten roll of paper towels, and a dead mouse. Fuel pump was leaking, rebuilt it. Started it up. The blower snout gasket leaked. Pulled the blower back off and tore it apart. Replaced the gasket and then buggered up the repaired drive hub trying to install it. Managed to get it back off. Sent it to my buddy Paul for a quick one day service machine job. Paul is the best. Got everything back together today. Started it, set the timing and carbs. Seemed to run well. Then my wife tells me she sees oil dripping. Pan is leaking. Have pull the drag link, jack the motor up and trim the K frame to get the Milodon pan off in the car. The rear rubber seal on the pan is split. So everything is apart and clean. I'll get a gasket tomorrow and hopefully that's the end of it. It's cracked and peeling Lacquer paint has been shined up along with the Weld wheels. Engine compartment toughed up. It still needs a paint job. But it'll do. Had this car forever. My wife and I went on our first date in it 43 years ago.
Doug

Last edited:
sounds good Doug but we do need pics please.

Glad to hear you'll be there.
When I lost a motor a few years ago, I took the easy way out and showed up with no car.

Was the blower on the car for your first date? If so, then your future wife definitely knew what she was getting into.

The oil pan went well. Entire car is now leak free. Test drove brakes pulled left BAD. Pulled the calipers cleaned all the rust and reassembled. Good now. May swap the Eddy carbs of the racecar tomorrow. Testing Wednesday.
Doug
20210708_143624.jpg

20210719_132330.jpg

Last edited:
Ran Wednesday night. 12.7@88 off the trailer. Swapped carbs,11.21, richened primaries [email protected] Richened pri/sec, new plugs [email protected]. Did a plug reading. Still lean richened secondaries and added 1psi fuel pressure. Still at 30 degrees total timing. We'll see here what happens next. Weighed it 3820 ready to race with my 195.
Doug

Not goodtodY slowed to 11.15, 11.24, 12.02. I see nothing wrong. Fuel pressure, oil pressure, boost, fuel delivery, spark, plugs all godstull gains 24 mph in the back half. 60 ft ok. 60 to 330 is off. Frustration and beer.
Doug

Well it turns out the Road Runner hurt the converter. So now at Saturday morning what do I do the rest of the weekend? My friend Steve shows up Saturday morning with Butch Leals real 73 S/S Duster fitted with a P7 NASCAR motor. New front suspension, headers and all mounted nicely in the car. Still has old school leaf springs , the WRONG converter. He asks if I'd like to drive it for the weekend. Heck ya. Its over a 3/4 second slow in the first 100 feet or so do to the converter. But then does it come on. Shift at 9200. Takes about 7500 in the burnout box. Cuts good lights. Went a couple rds just guessing at a dial. Runs about 10.70's@131. Also my friend John loaned me his N/SS 65 Belvedere for Sportsman duty. He ran it In N/SS. Went all the way to the rain shutdown Saturday night. Sunday I got against the converter a little to hard and it roiled the lights. My sons Turbo car still wasn't right. the converter was hurt. Tried to run it in 10.0 by adding boost. He lost a close one His .013 9.983 to a .019 9.987. Unfortunately it appears that it has hurt its first piston ever due to detonation. #2 has zero compression.
Doug

You're a busy man Doug.
I tried stopping by a couple different times but you either weren't there or jumping into a car.
Nice chatting with you in the staging lanes for a couple minutes.
Maybe next year we can have a beer

Yep Doug was a busy man... especially Sunday. LOL

I'm glad you stopped and said hi, it was good to chat with you for a few minutes.

Decided to take time to fix the Road Runner. Drained the trans pan. Then went in for lunch. Came back out and cracked the trans line loose. It sprayed fluid with pretty good pressure over one minute. Um, cooler circuit must be plugged. Pull the pan, ouch. About a 1/8" of metal covering the entire pan. Pull the trans and disassembled. the rear line feeds the rear governor support. The 3/32" hole was plugged solid. The front clutch got hot. Burned up the inside section of the Alto frictions, scorched the band. Pump gears had some grit go thru. Other than that the trans is unharmed. spent hours cleaning everything. Even threw my spare aluminum drum in it since there is no shield. It does have a LBA valve body. It had a 8" Turbo Action converter. I had a spare PTC 9.5" that's been in it before. Maybe .05 slower. But this is my street car, right? All back together and ready for spring. Street tires and all.
Doug

20220119_144749.jpg
20220119_162702.jpg
20220119_173240.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah Doug, you "had me at Volare/Roadrunner"...
I know the F Bodies don't get much love, but I had the love of my dear grandmother who offered to buy me a new car as a high school graduation gift. 79 Aspen R/T, Black and Gold, E58 Police 360. Sold the 71 Charger R/T soon after because my parents said "I didn't need 2 cars"...
I would have sold it eventually anyway.
I did put an 8¾ out of a 73 340 Dart in the Aspen when I busted the ring and pinion gears. The 8¾ literally dropped in place, down to the alignment pins going through the leaf springs. 4 speed Dart. I won't even say what happened to the Dart after I got the parts I wanted.

Yes I still have love for the F-bodies....this was my first Mopar.
It was a street car tho.
Small block with A833 4 gear and 8 3/4 with 3:23's
654.jpg

Well it turns out the Road Runner hurt the converter. So now at Saturday morning what do I do the rest of the weekend? My friend Steve shows up Saturday morning with Butch Leals real 73 S/S Duster fitted with a P7 NASCAR motor. New front suspension, headers and all mounted nicely in the car. Still has old school leaf springs , the WRONG converter. He asks if I'd like to drive it for the weekend. Heck ya. Its over a 3/4 second slow in the first 100 feet or so do to the converter. But then does it come on. Shift at 9200. Takes about 7500 in the burnout box. Cuts good lights. Went a couple rds just guessing at a dial. Runs about 10.70's@131. Also my friend John loaned me his N/SS 65 Belvedere for Sportsman duty. He ran it In N/SS. Went all the way to the rain shutdown Saturday night. Sunday I got against the converter a little to hard and it roiled the lights. My sons Turbo car still wasn't right. the converter was hurt. Tried to run it in 10.0 by adding boost. He lost a close one His .013 9.983 to a .019 9.987. Unfortunately it appears that it has hurt its first piston ever due to detonation. #2 has zero compression.
Doug

My motto? "If you ain't breaking stuff? You ain't trying!" 4 years back I was making my way back towards my pit. A track offical asked me if I would go down and help a car from near my pit that was broke on the return lane. I said "No problem." After towing to his site I was up near the starting line. A couple of the track guys came over to thank me. I said. "You only asked because you know I had a lot practice?" That got a good chuckle from them and a thumbs up. (Which these guys rarely show a smile.)

Sometimes truth is the ultimate humor!

Auto Transport Service
Back