• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar 440 Big block header bolts.

Jamesjames

Local time
1:16 PM
Reaction score
I know approximately 400 million posts have existed about header bolts leaking on a 440. I don’t have a question as I have read all of them. I’m just saying that this has to be the worst design in the history of engines. Hope this Harvey’s TFT paste works because permatex thread sealer did not.

If you read a bunch of threads about it you must know that the reason the studs are better is they have a shoulder on them which seals against the head. However, I am also aware that trying to fit headers with the engine installed creates issues with clearance over the studs. You're damned if you do & damned if you don't! :(

Yep...Worst design ever...Stud it and deal with lifting the motor whenever you wanna do anything...OR deal with putting HP manifolds on it...

I just did head gaskets on mine and it exactly reminds me of why I don’t like headers…
6226DA81-8A07-4492-B60F-795BE4937D8F.jpeg

Or, just learn to seal a wet bolt.....'worst design ever" lol

54bdnw.jpg

Like others no doubt, I like having the studs on the ends also - makes it a ton easier to hang the
headers (and the gaskets, for that matter) on.
Especially helpful if you're running some of the cheaper headers, like the God-awful Hedman 2" on
Fred, colossal pains that they are...
Sealing threads is second nature to me (40+ year fire sprinkler guy). Usually, a little dab of "blue" gets
the job done - but on severely worn stuff, maybe a little teflon tape plus sealant on top of that to build
thickness (don't use too much teflon though or some fellas will bitch at ya - "that crap will get loose in
the cooling system!!" Oy.).

you can use a stud like a bolt with the headers in place, just double nut the end locking the nuts together, install with sealant ,tape , what ever, run the stud in tight , break the nuts apart with 2 wrenches, remove outer nut, tighten down header

Worst design ? Hardly. Studs & one bolt with sealant on the pipe with minimal access. Been working without problems for 50 years + ...

.....I’m just saying that this has to be the worst design in the history of engines........

Well, I'm thinking the engine design was not specked for use with headers. Could it possibly be the header design that's flawed?
Maybe get some tri-y's. I think you can use studs on all the holes......

upload_2021-7-22_10-13-43.png

The Tri-Y's are great but I don't know if anyone makes them anymore that Schumacher is out of business.

You are correct, I just looked them up but they don't seem to have a large selection. I have Schumacher's on my Challenger (440) and I really like them.

Good to know , thanks. If I ever get headers again it's tri-Y's or nothing for me!:D

Auto Transport Service
Back