• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar 440 Single Turbo Setup

Local time
11:08 PM
Reaction score
I am looking to do a single turbo set up for 440. It's a 493 CI and has indy heads. Looking to make around 800-900 with setup. Anybody got a idea what size to run? MM? And brand? Was trying to research some setups and got between 75-80mm turbo. And will hooker headers 5209-1HKR work for setup? Of course i will have to weld and make them work but heard they will crack and wont hold to the boosted motor? Any advice would help. Would like to talk to somebody that has done a turbo setup etc!

never heard of a single turbo setup for a v8, have seen a few twin turbos onmopars, theres a guy in the resto section with a charger doing a twin turbo setup maybe try talking to him,

IMHO turbo are ricer rubbish, and if your set on a single setup try a centrifugal supercharger, less piping to run and depending on boost you wont need a intercooler

A buddy of mine put a single turbo with EFI on a 351W Ford and he made something over 500 RWHP. Whatever the number was it put a 1980 Zephyr wagon solidly in the mid 10's. He told me to put a turbo setup with EFI on my 440 and said with it properly tuned I can easily expect 800 RWHP.

Why not just contact your choice of turbo manufacturer to get their recommendation for what fits your needs the best? Is your engine stock or modified? You may be lucky, but others have had block failures after the 600-700 hp mark. Your cylinder walls may crack from the pressure. Or your block and caps will move around enough to take out the crank. Better plan on a girdle and half a block of cement to go with a good crank. One thing in your favor is that you can make that power at lower rpms than N/A, and that will cut the stress on the rotating assembly. As for the headers, once again call Hooker up and tell them what you want to do. They'll have an answer ready. -=Photon440=-

I am looking to do a single turbo set up for 440. It's a 493 CI and has indy heads. Looking to make around 800-900 with setup. Anybody got a idea what size to run? MM? And brand? Was trying to research some setups and got between 75-80mm turbo. And will hooker headers 5209-1HKR work for setup? Of course i will have to weld and make them work but heard they will crack and wont hold to the boosted motor? Any advice would help. Would like to talk to somebody that has done a turbo setup etc!
You may find useful info here:
http://www.theturboforums.com/forum.php

Over here in Scandinavia turbos are a big business, also on V8, so go ahead with your plans. I've seen both single and twin turbo designs, both will give you more power than you need...also drivability, with a good design.
A guy here just dynoed his still not fully tuned turbocharged 4-cyl Volvo engine...750 BHP, however, this engine is pure dragracing.

IMHO turbo are ricer rubbish, and if your set on a single setup try a centrifugal supercharger, less piping to run and depending on boost you wont need a intercooler

Benno, Benno, tolerance my boy: Hotrodding is hotrodding. Do you want everyone to open their hoods and see the same thing? Variety is the spice of life. I've run a single turbo and a ProCharger and both got the job done. I will agree that the turbo fabrication was a lot more involved. I disagree that you don't need to run an intercooler. You're leaving a lot of potential power on the table without one, even at 6-8lbs. boost. My choice would also be a centrifugal blower, but I like it when guys choose a different road. BTW, watch out for those 'ricers'. Some of them are running in the 8's, and that's not the 1/8 mile...

boost is good! Do your homework. It seems the problem most people make is going too big. Learn about A/R and trim and and all that good stuff. You can google turbo calculators. Plug in your info and based on how much hp you are looking for you can determine what size is best for you. Good luck.

Here's small block single. 10.99@123 at only 8 psi,2.76 gear,2.55/60 drag radials.
Doug

2011-07-24_10-22-42_160.jpg 2011-07-24_10-23-32_740.jpg 2011-07-24_10-25-15_281.jpg 2011-07-24_10-41-23_311.jpg

I was wondering how you did that when I found your picture on google. I'm very confused at the logics of turbocharger but god knows that's the way you wanta go if you wanta make hp in this modern day of racing. I've got a 10:1 built 440 on nitrous but always thought about going turbo. Wheres a good place to learn about turbo setups, calculations, etc... What size turbo you run in those pics? By the way I admire how little bit of tubing you used to make this thing look bad to the bone. Also like the relocation of the alternator. Pretty cool stuff.

I'd put an 88 on it with a t6 frame Put it on e85 and pray for the stock block

why e85? and why no intercooler? What kind of numbers are you making? forged bottom end? internal external balanced? oh the questions I have for this build. Was showing it to a buddy of mine telling him when I break my 440 on nitrous this will probably be my next build. You just take the stock manifolds and swap and flip them?

I never said no intercooler and I like e85 because its becoming readily available and much more stable for a pump fuel and works well in proven turbo combos.

E 85 works fine with no intercooler. A engine that big needs a BIG turbo on a single. A near stock 440 should make over 800. Your biggest problem will be the block. Update on our 360 75MM turbo car. 16psi,3.55 gear,3800lbs has now gone 9.88@138 in street trim.
Doug

Here's small block single. 10.99@123 at only 8 psi,2.76 gear,2.55/60 drag radials.
Doug

I know this thread is a little old, but I would really like to see the rest of this car!

David

I know this thread is a little old, but I would really like to see the rest of this car!

David

This year 3.55 gear, Edelbrock heads, [email protected] on 275 radials in full street trim. Getting mocked up over the winter for a 6.1 Hemi with twins. Next year we'll run the 360 while getting the Hemi together. We want to run 8's in street trim. It's cheaper and easier to make 1100 hp or so with the Hemi.
Go for a ride
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycbzYW7orWk

Scott at Quaker.jpg 1150720_226687174149787_2067860773_o.jpg scotts 62.jpg

4 door sleepers rule!
what an impressive ride.

there is no way to cheaply turbo a basic big block,is there?
mild boost...?

Man that's so sweet! I`ve started playing with blowers and one day I hope to do some work with turbos too...

Auto Transport Service
Back