• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar battery for 66 Satellite

1963JAM

Local time
12:33 PM
Reaction score
I have always had great luck with Mopar batteries in my new cars and trucks these last 30+ years. Has anyone put a new Mopar battery (not the retros) in your classic? What size? Shopping for a new battery, and they're sized by group #, dealer batteries are listed with a jumble of letters and numbers giving no reference to group number.

I have always had great luck with Mopar batteries in my new cars and trucks these last 30+ years. Has anyone put a new Mopar battery (not the retros) in your classic? What size? Shopping for a new battery, and they're sized by group #, dealer batteries are listed with a jumble of letters and numbers giving no reference to group number.
Depending on engine size you either have a group 24 or a group 27. I don't know what new Mopar numbers would be, but I'm sure a dealer will tell you.

Usually big blocks had group 27, small blocks had group 24. There used to be a tread on here about a company that makes push-in red or yellow caps for maintenance free batteries and repro group 24 or 27 Mopar battery labels. These make your modern battery look like an old one.

Yup, like this:
IMG_4570.jpg

Their website is weskcar.com
This was a $125 Walmart group 24 battery

My car has an 11 year old Mopar group 27 in it. When it dies I will buy another one of they are still avail.
I can pull the number off of it tomorrow if you wish

20210618_105049.jpg

I have WESKCAR battery kits in my cars. They take a few weeks to get but I like the look. Group 24 for the 383 car, group 27 for the Hemi car. Lousy pic but all I had
50032399-805C-49B0-86CE-B406BCBE64F4.jpeg

My car has an 11 year old Mopar group 27 in it. When it dies I will buy another one of they are still avail.
I can pull the number off of it tomorrow if you wish

View attachment 1169429
I would appreciate that. Dealer battery number would be much easier when talking to parts counter person. Do you know if the group 27 battery needs a bigger battery tray than what might have come with a 318 car. My 66 Satellite was originally a 318, now has a 440.

Far as I know the battery tray is the same. The group 24 battery just looks a bit undersized in it.

I would appreciate that. Dealer battery number would be much easier when talking to parts counter person. Do you know if the group 27 battery needs a bigger battery tray than what might have come with a 318 car. My 66 Satellite was originally a 318, now has a 440.

Tray and all associated hold down hardware is the same.
I will pull the cover off this afternoon and see if there is a pt number on it

Auto Transport Service
Back