• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar Distributor 1970 Plymouth 440 HP 3438222

redmanf1

Local time
4:49 PM
Reaction score
I am looking for the number for a Mopar Distributor 1970 Plymouth 440 HP 6 Pack 4 spd.
What is the correct number for the 6 pack car 4 spd?
Thanks for any help.
Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
The ebay version sure doesn't even look close to original with electrical vacuum advance. Maybe some California abomination?

The ebay version sure doesn't even look close to original with electrical vacuum advance. Maybe some California abomination?
Just gut home will look it up. That strange one actually could be it also with the electronic vac advance. 70, 71 and some 72.

Just gut home will look it up. That strange one actually could be it also with the electronic vac advance. 70, 71 and some 72.
Pretty sure it is a dual point with one of those on it. Not cheap at all. Prob 7-800 for the core and 4-500 for the vac advance since it has a special arm also 440-6 specific. Went through this a year or so ago for a numbers guy around here.

Gentlemen,
I believe the 6 barrel 4 speed distributor is a cast iron body Prestolite dual point distributor, as this is what i have on my origional RS23V0A****** GTX. The one shown has the electrical RETARD SOLENOID part of the vacuum advance. This solenoid is energized when the carb is on hot idle and grounds the electrical circuit thru an insulated terminal on the carb and hot idle adjustment screw, REGARDING the hot idle timing to 5 degrees AFTER TDC, to control emissions. The 6 barrel and hemi engines used the Prestolite dual point distributor. 440Hp engines used a single point aluminum body distributor and I believe, all California cars has the electrical RETARD device. In 1971 models, 50 states used this device as emissions grew tighter. Look up the operation in the FSM and parts manual. Just my opinion of course.
Bob Renton

OK here it is if early it is a dual point 3438314, IBS 4014. Pretty sure the later one is 3438348 IBS 4019. Normal vacuum advances. I do not have either pretty hard to find been looking for them for five other people also

va1-jpeg.jpg
va2-jpeg.jpg
va3-jpeg.jpg
From a shop bulletins book think 70. Same as RB. They suck really bad also.

That's not in either of my '70 FSM's or literature I've seen. Seems more like a '72 mod.

I have to look at the date, strange book I picked up. Almost like a recall book.

HalifaxHops,
All the information I've seen shows this vacuum advance/solenoid return mechanism on an ALUMINIUM single point distributor. The cast iron body distributors are either Prestolite or Mopar units whose vacuum advance mechanism attaches to the respective breaker plate differently and is secured with a small retaining clip. Also shown on your pix is the distributor cap's indexing locator tab. The cast iron body distributors use a different cap indexing tab plus cap hold down clips. I've not seen this device on cast iron body distributors. The aluminum body distributors have the breaker that pivots eccentricly rather than concentricly pivoting in the cast iron body distributors. Just my opinion of course.
Bob Renton

Saw that just a standard plte. The advances have a few different end to fit DP or single point. The 440-6 one is the rarest has a hooked arm with a hole. Seriously hard to find and when you do find it $$$. Then add the carb solenoid you usually have a grand just there. I have bought a few of them nos and that does not mean they are good one side is usually not working and most of the times no returns.

HalifaxHops,
All the information I've seen shows this vacuum advance/solenoid return mechanism on an ALUMINIUM single point distributor. The cast iron body distributors are either Prestolite or Mopar units whose vacuum advance mechanism attaches to the respective breaker plate differently and is secured with a small retaining clip. Also shown on your pix is the distributor cap's indexing locator tab. The cast iron body distributors use a different cap indexing tab plus cap hold down clips. I've not seen this device on cast iron body distributors. The aluminum body distributors have the breaker that pivots eccentricly rather than concentricly pivoting in the cast iron body distributors. Just my opinion of course.
Bob Renton
Your pretty much spot on only the six pack cars have I seen them on. Have them for the single point and elect distribs. Good catch single or elect in the picture. Prob a 72 book was just going to get a pic of the cover. Info on them is really spotty. Had a tread going about it a while age. And wait theres more some solenoids are innies and some outies also. I have them both on distribs. Stupid *** system really made for dieseling from what I see. But then again different opinions on that also. I go by the part number that belongs when I rebuild them, no one that I know of does Not the advances the retard distribs.. There are a few old restoration shops that can rebuild the regular ones. Usually a nice job on them also ($75-100 each)

Last edited:
B body I presume? There is a difference.

Actually only have listings for b/c/e on them. The a body guys were to cheap to have them!

Auto Transport Service
Back