• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar Journey begins...pt1

Mr.ButtonsIII

Local time
4:10 PM
Reaction score
This week I was fortunate enough to bring home a beautiful 1962 Dodge Dart Wagon.

Growing up my grandmother pat stored a red 62 sedan in a dusty wooden shack in her backyard of phelan California. I believe this car held a slant six engine that she would in that time, service and repair herself. It later became my aunts first car until she moved on and the car found its way to my grandmothers little shack. Unfortunately some years ago, well before I found interest in anything molar, some gentleman stumbled across my grandmothers property and were able to strike a deal with her and the little red dart from my childhood was never to be seen again.

A few weeks ago I just so happened to be in AutoZone when I came across a man speaking with there cashier about finding a part for a 62 dart Wagon. after quickly over speaking and asking if he had the car local and would be willing to sell It, he informed me that he and his uncle were indeed looking to sell the car after some small repairs and services were made. About three weeks of conversation, making quick stops by the property to check in on the car and we were able to make a deal.

The two gentlemen that had the car had been working to help a family friend and widow get rid of this car and many other parts her Husband had left her when he passed some time ago. Keith Washer was his name and he was an avid mopar enthusiast and drag racer from Pennsylvania. The Pocono Drag lodge was his track and hangout and I was fortunate enough to be shown many photos of his cars and days spend at his many races. Keith in these days had a race partner by the name of Jack Del'Amico and together they raced their first 1962 Dart sedan under the name of Mr.Buttons derived from the PushButton transmission. Naturally the second car followed the original Mr Buttons moniker but now found itself plastered on the door of a 1962 Dodge Dart Wagon. Keith continued to race this car until he and his wife made their way to California. In his later years Keith had picked up a beautiful powder blue Wagon with pushbutton transmission and had his hopes set to one day race again. The wagon currently sits with a 383 fully rebuilt motor with all of the potential to be a top contender yet again.

I've never put a whole lot of thought into racing myself other than the "that could be fun" thought bubble, but somehow Keiths story and the nostalgia of the early stock eliminator cars has my mind pondering all the possibilities. Whatever happens I am very happy to have found this car and to have stories and mementos to go with It. I am looking forward to being a part of the B body community and welcome any advice and help I can get during this journey.
The car has some work yet to be done but I will post about these issues at a later time. Until then enjoy some of these photos from better days.

Anyone that might have some connection to Pocono drag lodge or any further information on these cars or their drivers please let me know as well.

mr buttons drag.jpg mr buttons and jack.jpg Jack and Keith.jpg mr buttons II.jpg powderbluewagon.jpg mr buttons III.jpg

Welcome from Alabama, love my 62 also.
20190425_172806.jpg

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. The other one, with snow. That looks like a great '62 Dart wagon you scored. Also, that is a great story that goes along with it. I am helping a buddy with a '62 Dart Maxie clone that he bought last fall. Unfortunately, the car suffered an under dash wiring harness meltdown, and we have been replacing it. What a nightmare!

Welcome Mr lll. Well known Mr. Buttons cars.

Nice looking "Long Roof" :thumbsup:

Kind of parcel to '62s myself. Look up my build thread mentioned in "My Photo Garage"

20180426_192459.jpg

Funny my car was originally from San Francisco and it's now in Pennsylvania. Your car just the opposite, or at least some Pa history by the owner. :)

Last edited:
Welcome from Illinois!! Thanks for sharing your story and pics. What's not to love about '62 Darts . . .

Mopars (178).jpg

Cool car history

welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

welcome from jerseyville, illinois. my 1st mopar was a black 62 dart, poly 318. i need another one.

Welcome aboard from NJ. Best of luck with the 62 and thanks for the story; rare indeed!
:thumbsup:

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. The other one, with snow. That looks like a great '62 Dart wagon you scored. Also, that is a great story that goes along with it. I am helping a buddy with a '62 Dart Maxie clone that he bought last fall. Unfortunately, the car suffered an under dash wiring harness meltdown, and we have been replacing it. What a nightmare!
Looks like I will be messing around with a new wiring harness as well. Fried a new MSD coil pretty quickly after a few attempts at getting the car to turnover. Might try a Painless performance switch plate and replace all old wiring. Ive heard the Taylor switches are pretty good as well but are no longer manufactured

Looks like I will be messing around with a new wiring harness as well. Fried a new MSD coil pretty quickly after a few attempts at getting the car to turnover. Might try a Painless performance switch plate and replace all old wiring. Ive heard the Taylor switches are pretty good as well but are no longer manufactured
If I were to do it over again, I would likely pull the dash out. You can unbolt '62-'65 dashes without pulling the windshield.

Welcome from Missouri!!

Neat story and a cool find. Welcome from the central coast.

"I found interest in anything molar"
Read your intro. Welcome aboard.
I don't think there are too many dentists
here, but I'm sure some could give advice
to any oral problems you might encounter.
Seriously....
Just giving you a hard time. Dang auto
correct......

Auto Transport Service
Back