• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Mopar Performance" Dead and gone?

roadrunnerh

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:00 PM
Reaction score
I've been meaning to post about the newer Mopar Performance being sold out to "Proform".
A quick check on the Proform website shows aftermarket crap for the Chevys and Fords as well. Now MP is reduced to a bunch of Chinese ****. Sad.

I would like to blame Fiat, but MP quality was getting pretty shabby long before they were involved..

I suspect that all there will be left is a bastardized version of Dodge and Ram trucks.
While considering cams for my 383, I first looked to Mopar and was blown away by their CRAZY prices and suspect manufacturing. Fully aware, MP and Chrysler contracted with vendors for decades - as other companies did as well.

Gone are the good ole days. It’s been downhill since Daimler. IMO And the fall of Plymouth. It’s sad really. Dodge trucks aren’t even dodge anymore.

Over the years I have bought lots of their stuff. Cams, valve covers, electronic ignition kits, air cleaners, bolt kits, thermostat housings, leaf springs, torsion bars....But I haven't bought anything from them for awhile. I remember in the early 2000s when I first had my Charger, the Summit Catalog had 6 or 8 pages of their stuff.

The last mopar performance parts I bought was a purple cam. Cast air cleaner. 17 years ago. Still running strong. Nothing since. I wish I had bought one of the 505 wedge crate engines when they were still making them brand new.

I don't think that the block or heads were new. I thought they were built with junkyard cores.

Not sure about the block but I thought the heads were the 452 casting in aluminum. I could be wrong though. It’s been a while since then. I always thought they used new blocks too but idk. Seems like they even sold new blocks then. Siamese bore without lifter holes cut yet. Man it’s been almost 20 years since I had a catalog . That blows me away.

too new school for me, I'm more of a Direct Connection guy.......... when did the stupid fat "M" pop up anyway?

….. when did the stupid fat "M" pop up anyway?

Somewhere in there...……..
upload_2019-9-14_8-18-54.png

the catalogs lasted till 2002 and yes the prices are too high I remember I got a alumiun water pump housing back in 1973 for $17.00 prices too high today for junk

Over the past couple years, I was able to order some items under the old part number by putting a P in front of the original part number. The item would be listed as NS1 without the "P", but would come up as a valid number with the "P" inserted. It would always be more money than what it was priced without the "P".

With that said, I wonder if those parts will eventually be phased out as the inventory dwindles down to nothing or if FCA will continue to provide Proform with the parts. I cannot imagine it would be a huge amount of volume. But then again, these were OEM parts that were still better than many of the restoration parts that is available.

I guess that I need to contact my Chrysler rep to see the impact. Whatever the case, I do not see it as being good for the either the restoration guys or racers who have used the parts in the past.

I had two new MP BB distributors over the past year that were complete garbage. Then I went to an all-MSI ignition chain and haven't looked back. Good riddance.

junk is junk......seems to me all American auto makers are producing junk. profit before quality, if you make something that lasts too long you cant sell enough of that product. make it for pennys, sell it for dollars, lots of them

We have become a throw away society, use it for a while, discard it, and another NEW (expensive) one!! The pride of a company's engineering, producing goods an services, and its name is pretty much gone for the sake of a $$ and someone ego at the upper level.
The only breath of fresh air has been the coming of the modern muscle car no matter which brand.
I have to wonder what the European car companies that actually engineer and build some of the true performance cars offer for aftermarket support parts??? I don't mean part for todays new car, but the older cars that are restored and revered?
When I compare our support to Mopar to GM and Ford, sometimes, many times, I have asked myself "WHY!?"

What does a MP cam go for anyway? $300? For something that may not even be spot on. They should be better.

Auto Transport Service
Back