• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar Performance Intake Manifold

ArtH

Local time
1:32 PM
Reaction score
Summit is selling a Mopar Performance intake that is set up for a square bore manifold. I would like to replace the oem carb and intake on my 77 Cordoba (400 cid) with that intake and an Edelbrock Performer Carb ( I was thinking the 1406 version with elect choke). Has anyone else done this? TIA.

The MoPar M1 dual plane intake is a basic stock replacement intake in aluminum. The Edelbrock carb will work well. Being a '77 model year, I'm guessing it is a 400, the stock engine.

I have done this before and I was not happy with it. IMO, the TQ worked better in all aspects over the AFB.
I also like the AVS over the AFB and Holly carb on an engine like this. Stock or mildly modded.

Yes it is a 400 cid engine, stock.

I'm a bit confused, you said the Edelbrock carb will work well but then you say you did and weren't happy with it.

I don't understand you. The carb will work, I was unhappy with it performance wise.

????????????

What was your problem "performance wise"? I'm running very low 14's and looking at 13's with an Edelbrock #1407.

Is the current carb a 2 bbl?

Okay I think we're on the same page now. I'm not looking for high performance, I'm only interested in drive-ability. However, I was talking with a rebuild shop that specializes in old Carter AFB's, Quadrajets etc and he said he would go through my Thermoquad. So, that's what I plan on doing. The factory manifold is for a the spreadbore T'quad. If I changed to an Edelbrock, I would need to change the intake or use an adapter. It's actually cheaper to have the original carb reworked.

The original carb is a 4 barrel.

Thanks for your help.

Art;

You would not need to change the intake to use the Edelbrock carb, just a thin 1/16 plate at worst.
IMO, a well built and tuned TQ will not only blow the doors off the AFB carb, but, I am absolutely sure that you will get better;

Mileage
throttle response
overall torque through out the power band
top end power

Make sure you use a thick OEM gasket for the TQ. Not the paper thin gaskets commonly found at speed shops. This will help keep the heat down inside the carb, fuel peculation down if not to a point of nil and avoid the carb from cracking under the heat cycles.

Have fun!

What was your problem "performance wise"? I'm running very low 14's and looking at 13's with an Edelbrock #1407.

Hey bud, I found the AFB to be a sluggish carb vs. the TQ, OE or aftermarket versions (Electric choke models, there also smaller in the primary @ 1-3/8. )
While the primary performance was good, fully opened up, the performance was lacking get up and go, no real punch vs. the TQ.
(I do not recommend the small primary TQ for a stock 400 unless absolute mileage concerns are present.)

My abilty to tune the carb is fine. I was able to just about exactly match mileage between the 2 carbs.
Secondary's of the AFB are not so easy to tune since there a weighted door. Most people do not have the abilty or want to add or subtract weight from the secondary side weighted air valve. Or velocity valve I think they called it.
I don't blame anybody for not wanting to do this. Heck, it sucks.

While it is possible to tune the weighted air door. It is also a huge pain in the butt to get it exactly at it's best. The TQ has a spring loaded door that is much easier and quicker to tune. The AVS is also like this.

So, it is in my opinion, if you have a stock 400 B engine and your looking for everyday performance, the TQ carb is a good choice. It will work for the average guy without much issue. The use of AFB/Edelbrock rods is recommended to use after a 3/4 inch 90* bend is put into them for further tuning use since OE rods are either pricey or near impossible to find.

(I know you probably know all of this, I'm just throwing it out there, maybe for a newbie to discover)

Thanks for the answers. Here's where it all stands. I have sent the Thermoquad to Sparky's for a rebuild. I have replaced the Lean Burn system with a Pertronix distributor with mechanical and vacuum advance and put an adapter on the existing cast iron manifold and have a Holley square bore mounted to it. This only temporary and I plan to go back to the TQ when it returns. All of these parts were available to me from other projects so I decided to see what would happen. I'll know tomorrow. I also have a GM HEI available to replace the Pertronix system if need be. I kind of like the GM fix as I have a lot more experience with them. Basically, all I want to do at this point is get the ignition conversion in place and then I'll sort out the carburetor issue. I have to agree, that after almost 25 years in the retail auto industry, you're best staying as close to OEM as possible.

I am not looking to hot rod this old car, just get it running with a reliable system and to look good. If all goes well, I'll post some pics of what I've done to help others along.

PS, fish, I grew up in Nassau County Lynbrook HS and Hofstra U.

Got it all together this AM and all is working. It's basically put together to see if I could replace the ignition system. The carb is a Holley square bore that has an adapter plate to mate it to the spread bore OEM manifold. The engine fired up on the third crank of the starter. I primed the carb by attaching fuel line to the intake connector and attaching a small funnel to the other end. I poured about a 1/2 cup of gas into that to load up the bowls. I prefer this to dumping raw gas directly into the air horn like we used to do when a car ran out of fuel. It's a bad idea especially when first setting timing as a back fire through the carb can start a fire. BTW, I had a fire extinguisher right behind me.

20ro1ax.jpg

Left side fuel line was all I happened to have on hand so it's a little short. I was only wanting to test the ignition system - which worked fine - so I rigged this up for that purpose. When the Thermoquad returns I will R&R the Holley.

2v1n2g2.jpg

I tapped power from the 12 volt side of the OEM choke heater
2s64ra9.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back