• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mopar purple camshaft

DGE330/NC

Local time
9:23 AM
Reaction score
bought a new mopar performance six pak cam.. the finish don't look right to me. kinda dull non machined kinda look . anybody got any imput on this new finish? looks almost cast color as in a dull greyish finish.

Pics?

bought a new mopar performance six pak cam.. the finish don't look right to me. kinda dull non machined kinda look . anybody got any imput on this new finish? looks almost cast color as in a dull greyish finish.
81BJPVg7DGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg mopar cam.jpg

Looks good from here. Is that a picture off their website? Awfully professionally done for a garage photo.

I think the lobes are usually parkerized or have some other kind of coating on them.

I didn't know they were nitriding the vintage pattern hydraulic cams now.

That just looks like a parkerized finish to me. I think the suppliers of purple shaft cams to mopar performance have changed several times over the years.

The good ones used to actually be purple between the lobes.
Ahhh those were the days...

The one in my Charger is circa 87 with original lifters.
.455" - 270 degrees love that thing

distributor gear alignment 3-12-17.jpg

I spy, with my little eye.... yup, that thar's a purpleshaft!
(This is in my current 440 in Fred. It's the 484 cam, as discovered back in 2017 when I did the swap).

The different manufacturers of cams have used a variety of surface finishes over the years. Prevent rust before install. Only new cams I had that that were a machined surface were my billet steel rollers.

Auto Transport Service
Back