• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mopar wiring questions

belvedere 67

Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
I recently bought a painless wiring harness for my 67 belvedere. This is my first major project and have a few basic question. I turn the key nothing happens. When I check the starter solenoid I have power. When I check the ignition switch I have power at 1 terminal. When I turn the key I have power at three of the terminals coming out of the ignition switch. I have power at the battery lead at the alternator. So here's my questions. With the battery hooked up should I have power at the coil , voltage regulator , ballast ? Right now I don't have any of these. Or does the key need to be on to get power there. The motor turns over when I jump the starter solenoid with a screwdriver. I know these are basic questions but any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

Not much on electrics, but that being said...

Get a wiring diagram for your car, if you don't have one, so you can check for correct wiring hookups.
Suggest you check the ignition switch. It could be bad, or possibly wired wrong.

Say you have power to the starter solenoid? At what ign switch position? Should only have power at the start position, not run. At run position, power to ballast, coil, etc.

Think I remember the ignition switch has the markings, on the back, at the terminals, for which one is which.

The key needs to be in the either run or start position to have power at the coil. Power comes through the ballast or not depending on whether its in run or start.

I would check the neutral safety switch and then replace the starter solenoid. I had a new solenoid that seemed ok but would not get power to the starter. A buddy of mine had the same issue with a new solenoid.

It is already too late to change your purchase but I would have suggested that you purchase the M&H wiring harness from Year One. Expensive? Yes. But compared to the "Pain in the ***" wiring harnesses you would have not had this problem. DAMHIK....

On cars of this age, I do not think you have a bad part(yet). I would check electrical connections including firewall and see where it quits. Bad connections are VERY common and were when cars were younger.

Again suggest you get a copy of service manual for your car. They have 'em free you can download. (Brain went blank on the website's name.) It's listed in a thread here, under mopar library. http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31
Besides all the wiring diagrams, there's also a bunch of electrical testing instructions, that can help narrow down your problem.

Even if you've replaced an electrical part, can't mean it's not bad. Ditto on wiring, if something is not wired right.
That kinda stuff can be a real pain!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back