• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

more questions

blacdog2

Local time
1:46 AM
Reaction score
ok guys pulled my first mopar engine out today and have a few more questions. ok i know the i know the firing order for a 383 is same as chevy 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, but how would i know were #1 is on the distributor? also i need to know what the torque specs are on the intake manifold. had a die hard chevy guy help pull engine out, hes never pulled a mopar and he was liking lots of stuff that mopar does with the engine. really appreicate all the help

remember, the distributor rotates counterclockwise.

#1, if looking at the distributor cap from the passenger side fender will be located in the 5 o clock position roughly.

torque specs, i think are 25 ft/lbs (but my book is in the garage and its late).

Just put an intake on 2 440's and the torque spec is 50 lb. Start in the center, work side to side in an X pattern. Did my first round at 30 to make sure it pulled down even, then did the final at 50. When you put the distributor in, with #1 at TDC, the distributor drive slot should point straight line front to rear.
Don't want to confuse you but if you've replaced the timing chain and the timing marks are set nearest to each other, the rotor should point to #6 on the cap.

Just put an intake on 2 440's and the torque spec is 50 lb. Start in the center, work side to side in an X pattern. Did my first round at 30 to make sure it pulled down even, then did the final at 50. When you put the distributor in, with #1 at TDC, the distributor drive slot should point straight line front to rear.
Don't want to confuse you but if you've replaced the timing chain and the timing marks are set nearest to each other, the rotor should point to #6 on the cap.

yeah im a lil confused. this motor was a long block crate motor, it came with the timing marks lined up on the money and i looked in #1 plug hole, well hope # 1 is the first one drivers side, and u can see the piston is all way up. also on the old motor someone wrote #8 on the cap. so if it turns counterclock #1 should be to the right if looking at it from passenger side correct? if it is then when i transferred the gear and dist over to the new motor the rotor is pointed right about were #1 should be. i hope im doin this right, timing was always a pain in *** for me

Doesn't really matter where the distributor is pointing so long as #1 wire goes to where the rotor is pointing but to be book/factory correct, the rotor should point towards about the 5 o'clock position like racedodge said....or towards #2 cylinder. And if you look at your heads, the driver's side is about an inch or so ahead of the passenger side....or the thickness of a rod. The leading cylinder is #1....driver's side.

Doesn't really matter where the distributor is pointing so long as #1 wire goes to where the rotor is pointing but to be book/factory correct, the rotor should point towards about the 5 o'clock position like racedodge said....or towards #2 cylinder. And if you look at your heads, the driver's side is about an inch or so ahead of the passenger side....or the thickness of a rod. The leading cylinder is #1....driver's side.

but shouldnt when u have the timing mark on 0 and # 1 piston all way up shouldnt rotor point to #1 on cap????

If they installed the intermediate shaft like the factory did it should be but it can be placed in there in any position but like a clock, the slot will line up in the right spot twice :D

If they installed the intermediate shaft like the factory did it should be but it can be placed in there in any position but like a clock, the slot will line up in the right spot twice :D

yeah there wasnt an intermediate shaft in it, i had to transfer it from old motor. what i did was bring old motor up to top dead center with #1 all way up and mark on balancer on 0, the i saw were the rotor lined up and then made a mark and then transferred everything over on new motor with # 1 all way up and balancer on 0 and the rotor seemed to be in the same spot i hope :(

oh does anyone have a pic of the belt routing on a 383 without a/c? i think the original motor might been on wrong. also whats plug gap to be set at??

Stock plug gap is .035 and I don't have a pic....

Auto Transport Service
Back