• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most comfortable classic to travel cross country.

1963JAM

Local time
7:44 PM
Reaction score
Curious what classic Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge would make the most comfortable cross country adventure? B, C or D body? 65 Chrysler New Yorker, 70 Fury Sport, 69 Chrysler 300, 72 Imperial Lebanon? Any and all models would be of interest in what classic Mopar would make a comfortable ride for weeks of driving consisting of up to 8 hours of driving a day. Folks with real travel experiences is most appreciated.

I’ve driven my old 68 Hemi Charger to Michigan (twice), Pittsburg, and all of the states in the Northeast. But that was 35-40 years ago and I wouldn’t want to make trips like those in my current 68 Charger today. The ergonomics, a/c, cruise control and creature comforts of today’s cars has spoiled me.

I had a C-Body '68 Polara Hardtop 4-door (no center post between front and rear windows) that was great on long drives.
I think it had 2.??:1 gearing.

C-Body New Yorker/Imperial, mid-60s through late 70's.
Best damn interstate ride ever created, right there.

I know a 67-69 camaro would be the worse vehicle to travel across America in.

Any of the land yachts of 60s-70s wouldn’t be bad though. My GTX has cordoba seats in it, I would travel across America in it.

That's not a simple question to answer, to much falls on what one considers comfortable and what has been done to their car. I've driven to Canada twice and Carlisle Pa in my Charger and wouldn't hesitate to drive it all the way to the Pacific coast, most comfortable car I own. That being said it's not original either.. better seats, better A/C, better brakes, suspension, 6 speed tranny, etc.

I had a couple of M bodies but not a 5th Ave. I really liked those cars
1663072289106.png

I drove my '68 Charger to Charleston SC in June. Comfortable even with the old seats. It has a overdrive trans, which makes 70-80 mph highway travel less anxious. A/C will be nice. Interior and A/C will be updated next year/season.
My wife's Jeep GC is not as comfortable (she loves it), who am I to swap it for another newer, less than current 200k car for her to drive. I am on the hunt for a car of lesser value than the crazy prices 2nd gen Chargers are going for, to make a long distance "vacation" car out of. Solid small block or 3rd Gen Hemi, auto overdrive for mpg and effortless 70-90 mph. Not so perfect that Walmart parking lot, or a week at a beach house would not be a concern for theft and a possible parking lot ding.
I'm partial to '74 up New Yorker/Imperial, 81-83 Imperial maybe even all J bodies.

Give me a Big 'ol C body any day for a cross country cruse! Been there, done that! It's nice when you can put the seat all the back to the point that you have to slouch in order to reach the peddles!

235.JPG

I have driven cross country twice, in both cases they were B bodies. Both of those threads are on FBBO if you care to search for them. We posted pictures as we travelled.

First time was in 2015 in my 1970 Air Grabber Road Runner. That time I drove it one way and had it shipped back. The second time was this year, May and June of 2022. That time I drove my 1973 Road Runner and we drove all the way to the Pacific, then all the way back (11,097 miles). Both cars are pictured below (and in the same condition/ options they were driven in).
20210905_142406.jpg

The 70 is a fully restored, no expense spared car. I will have to say that it was a bit more comfortable because it had no rattles, squeaks, etc. The 73 is a bit of a beater, with some rust and issues. The 70 is a 383 manual while the 73 is a 416 (stroked 340) automatic.

Really, both cars were comfortable to drive in. The suspensions on B bodies really work quite well, and I think they are the perfect size. Not too big to fit in smaller parking spaces or tight spots, but big enough to be comfortable in.

Some suggestions if you are considering this:
* Make SURE your suspension is in GREAT shape. Many cars of this vintage have sloppy, crappy suspensions that wander and drive poorly. We hot rodders tend to focus on the engine and driveline, but the suspension is a key part to making the car drive nicely.

* I feel that overdrive is a must have. The 70 had an A833 built into an overdrive (now it has a A855 Passon overdrive), and the 73 has a Gear Vendors overdrive. Both of these things make cruising the highways way more tolerable for long periods.

* Have a reasonably quiet exhaust. Again, most of us hot rodders love a loud, race car kind of sound. But that gets old quickly when you are driving every day for hours in the car.

* Have air conditioning. My 70 does and we loved it. My 73 does too, but it failed about a week and a half into our trip. Driving through the desert with a black vinyl interior sucked.

* An engine that runs on 87 octane (or less) is a benefit. My 73 runs on 87 octane, and this saved us a bunch on money. It still has power galore too, so a fun combination. Not too radical, but not tame either.

Feel free to send me a PM or ask further questions here - happy to help with further thoughts from my drives.

I think my friend, Dave, has the ultimate cross-country land cruiser. 1970 Plymouth Sport Fury GT 440 6-BBL.

IMG_0970.JPG

P9180066.JPG

My 63 Plymouth Belvedere got the wife and kids everywhere for 20+ years. Has factory a/c for comfort in the hot south.
318 poly is very dependable.

69 Coronet. Rides like a Cadillac. Cross Country twice. I too am spoiled with modern technology. Mostly the quiet cabins. Traffic is so fucked up across the Country that you HAVE to be prepared to idle extended times in stopped traffic at 90 degrees on almost every trip. Construction everywhere. 81 North into New York is so bumpy, stuff was flying out of pickup trucks.

Lol, I see E body was excluded. Challenger, 2,300 mile round trip, 60-series non/radials, air shocks to keep the tires clear, no A/C, 3 people, luggage, back seat barely enough room to sit considering limited trunk space. More air required for the shocks. Was 20, I’d not do it again; but then it was my daily transportation

Lol, I see E body was excluded. Challenger, 2,300 mile round trip, 60-series non/radials, air shocks to keep the tires clear, no A/C, 3 people, luggage, back seat barely enough room to sit considering limited trunk space. More air required for the shocks. Was 20, I’d not do it again; but then it was my daily transportation

Back then, the new cars were no more comfortable than "our" muscle cars. It wasn't until the mid 1980's that cars started to get real creature comforts.

E Body = Buckboard. Even short trips. The Chop, not just the seats.

I've driven my '66 Coronet 500 in 36 states and one Canadian province. It has always been a terrific highway machine. It was built new with 2.74 gears, so 80 mph on the freeway was effortless. The 3.23s I have in it these days have made a dent in the fuel economy, though. I'd get 21 highway regularly with the 2.74s, but I get more like 15 with the 3.23 gearing. I've put a bit over 82K miles on it in 42 years of ownership; keeping in mind, the car remained dormant in my shop for nearly ten of those years!

Now, my '66 Imperial is a dream ride on the highway! It does 80 without fret or fuss. I've got anywhere from 15 to 19 on the highway, with a very best-ever mileage of 21 mpg on an 89-mile stretch. Ride quality is what makes the Imperial shine! I have KYB shocks up front and Monroes in the rear, on an otherwise pure-stock suspension. The tires are Hancook 235-75R15 whitewalls. With this car, I've never left the state with it, but I've driven it in three Hot Rod Hundred runs (the fourth coming up in a couple of weeks!); with the longest of those, I put on a little over 350 miles on the car in one day. She wasn't even breathing hard!

Auto Transport Service
Back