• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moto home big block 727

Tang1964

Local time
3:34 AM
Reaction score
So I’ve acquired a couple 440 motor home drive trains for the quad cab. I’m not sure how many actually miles are on them the. Both od’s say in the 50k rang, both in the 70’s. I know the motors suffered from Cali smog B.S. But are the trans some how choked to or better or…….?
One more thing can you remove the what I can only assume is some sort of trans brake ? And what to do ?

08705069-4CFB-4C8A-A15D-E64C924AE247.jpeg

That drum is the emergency brake. Getting rid of it entails changing out the output shaft and tailshaft housing. You have to disassemble the whole transmission to accomplish this. This stuff can be swapped for passenger car 727 pieces.

So finding all the bits and pieces to convert it would be a good idea ?

All ya need is a tail shaft from a car and the output shaft inside.

Dam I thought I could maybe use it like a trans brake ! Lol
That drum is the emergency brake. Getting rid of it entails changing out the output shaft and tailshaft housing. You have to disassemble the whole transmission to accomplish this. This stuff can be swapped for passenger car 727 pieces.

Is a 904 tail section and output shaft enter changeable?

So the other trans has a u joint. That would need to be converted to slip shaft type ?

What other trans?

I pulled two 440 727 combos from Moto homes. The one pictured came from a big 78 travco or something like that. Some Jack off pulled the carb and distributor and left it uncovered so it’s stuck for now. The other set up came from a 76 tradesman style one ton chassis. It was covered. That’s the set up I’m just going to stuff straight in my car.

I’ll get some pics of that set up and post it here tomorrow

One thing to contemplate. If you plan on using a Gear Vendors unit like I have, there were 3 different length shaft/ext housings used. The one I got ahold of is the mid length one, 12"? maybe, that put the unit just behind the trans mount. I did not want to run the usual 18" unit as I was not comfortable with have the GV unit hanging out at the end of 18" un-supported. Just me and my thoughts.

85C5F554-D6C6-4D05-8939-B0A931690C68.jpeg 4B9E73E8-8754-4403-A914-55002A42E496.jpeg

This is the set up I hope to clean up and just stuff it in my car…… until !

F03DDF78-422F-4063-B5CB-CEA952EC33B2.jpeg 9275593C-B176-4A81-98A2-CE12953914EF.jpeg EBDDAF3D-9290-4097-9918-470E27B7405A.jpeg

Would it be cheaper to build a custom 2 PC splined driveshaft ,than to find a regular bb 727?

Would it be cheaper to build a custom 2 PC splined driveshaft ,than to find a regular bb 727?
Then you'd need a mount for a carrier bearing in the middle. It's not that hard to find BB transmissions or even a regular tail shaft housing and shaft. Heck, I might even have one laying around somewhere in my mess.....

Putting in the work I could track down a car 727 for a couple hundred bucks. That would be way easier then try to mount a Carrier and all that. I was think like a slip shaft for a 4x4. But if I do it right now I won’t have to fuss with as much later.

Auto Transport Service
Back