• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor decoding and technical info

Xtro

Local time
12:29 PM
Reaction score
Hello all, I recently purchased a 1969 Dodge Coronet RT. The engine is not a numbers matching motor but everything else on the car is. Colour codes are correct, manual gearbox, dana 60 and all the extras on the car are also correct. The engine is coded as a 440 but it has been replaced at some point . The engine in it at the moment is coded as C 440 B 4 17.
From what I can gather its a 1967 440. Its also had a 6 pack added. These are original 1969 correct carbs and air cleaner not repos as I have had them checked out. My question is this. What would of had been done to the motor to accommodate these carbs. Do they just fit straight on and its a matter of tuning or did the motor have to have some work done to it? I know the 440 came out as a HP as well. Does the motor have to be brought up to HP specs before you can add the carbs? It has an extreme amount of torque and even in 3rd gear at around 50-60mph I can get the rear tires to spin and get a little smoke happening. I have taken it to a mechanic for a tune and he was very impressed on how it ran but since it hasn't been pulled apart for any reason they can't really give me any answers. The car runs extremely smooth and doesn't miss a beat. If someone can give me any info on the 6 pack motors for the RT I would be very grateful. The person I bought the car from imported it from the US in 2010 and the owner had something to do with the Mentor museum of speed. It was purchased for $50 000 US which puts the car in the higher end price range for a non matching motor numbers car. Thanks in advance.

440.jpg Motor.JPG image1.JPG

Good choice in cars ;).

The engine would not need to be modified to accept the 6pack intake. It bolts right on.

The only year a six pack R/T would have been available from the factory was 70 and they were a little different on the bottom end compared to a 69 6bbl.

It sounds like someone took a 67 block and just made a really strong engine.

Good choice in cars ;).

The engine would not need to be modified to accept the 6pack intake. It bolts right on.

The only year a six pack R/T would have been available from the factory was 70 and they were a little different on the bottom end compared to a 69 6bbl.

It sounds like someone took a 67 block and just made a really strong engine.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that they didn't come with a six pack until 1970. Is there a big difference between a standard 67 and 69 440? Also what's the difference between a B & RB motor? Cheers , Rob

B engines, low deck: 350, 361, 383, 400. RB engines (raised block) tall deck: very early 383, 413, 426, 440.
Nothing beats a red car! 6 packs came out in late 69, known as 69 1/2 models.

B engines, low deck: 350, 361, 383, 400. RB engines (raised block) tall deck: very early 383, 413, 426, 440.
Nothing beats a red car! 6 packs came out in late 69, known as 69 1/2 models.
Yes but not the R/Ts. It wasn't an option on those in 69.

So, just the Super Bs and Chargers in the Dodge lineup? Coronets?

So, just the Super Bs and Chargers in the Dodge lineup? Coronets?
No Dodge Charger was available with the 6 pak in 69 either. It became available mid year in 69 for the Super Bee and Road Runner only.
1970 is different but we are discussing 1969 here.

Yes, the 69 1/2 year Super Bee's & Road Runner's were the special package cars. 1970 models were much more production. Most had the cast iron version of the six pak manifold not the aluminum Edelbrock version. But they did have the big rods & externally balanced crank.

Also a different taper on lifters&cam lobes, also 3-bolt cam sprocket instead of 1-bolt.

OK, so if you compared a stock 1967 440 B engine with a six pack to a stock 1969 440 RB engine with a six pack which was the better / more powerful motor?

OK, so if you compared a stock 1967 440 B engine with a six pack to a stock 1969 440 RB engine with a six pack which was the better / more powerful motor?
I don’t believe there was a 6 pack offered in 67

I don’t believe there was a 6 pack offered in 67
Yes I know but Im trying to compare motors as I have a 67 with a 6 pack. With one being a B motor and the other being an RB motor I'm trying to compare apples with apples set up wise.

Yes I know but Im trying to compare motors as I have a 67 with a 6 pack. With one being a B motor and the other being an RB motor I'm trying to compare apples with apples set up wise.

Both are RB engines. IF the 67 still has stock 916 heads I'd say the 69 with 906 heads would flow a little better but there's probably not a lot of feel it in the seat difference.

Other than the heads, there's really not a lot of difference between the two that would affect the performance. Both years were rated at 375 horse.

Both are RB engines. IF the 67 still has stock 916 heads I'd say the 69 with 906 heads would flow a little better but there's probably not a lot of feel it in the seat difference.

Other than the heads, there's really not a lot of difference between the two that would affect the performance. Both years were rated at 375 horse.

OK so B on my code pad doesn't stand for a B motor then. This is what has confused me. Can anyone help with the decoding. Here is the pic again. I know C stands for 1967 and the 4 17 is the build date but what does the B stand for.

440.jpg

Rod and main bearings were 0.010 undersized from the factory.

A well tuned 6 BBL motor will out perform a 4 BBL motor. "Back in the day" 6 BBL motors were not very well tuned. A little adjustment on the end carb idle mixture screws made all the difference. But you need to take the small plugs out to get to the adjustment screws. Stock jetting is pretty close.

Auto Transport Service
Back