• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor home 440

Joe Jacalone

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:45 AM
Reaction score
I just picked up a 440 4 barrel out of a camper van. It has a rear sump oil pan. I am putting it into my 1966 Belvedere. I will need to change to a rear sump pan and corresponding oil pickup, correct?

Motorhome engines were changed a bit from regular truck, van and car engines.
Some had weird water pump housings placed higher above than the standard ones. All were rear sump if I recall but with so many passenger car engines made, a stock oil pickup isn't hard to find. New oil pans are available.

The dipstick plug?
Yes, dipstick plug. Assuming it has the truck style pan- dipstick like the trucks.
20221101_131216.jpg

I've come to the conclusion that they never built 440 industrial engines for motorhomes. They were all either 413 or 361.
At least I've never seen concrete evidence of it.

I've come to the conclusion that they never built 440 industrial engines for motorhomes. They were all either 413 or 361.
At least I've never seen concrete evidence of it.
Not sure what you're saying here...I have two cherry 440 blocks in the garage right now, that I've personally pulled out of RVs...they carry the "440" stamp on the pad, and the bore and stroke spec out to 440 dimensions..

Not sure what you're saying here...I have two cherry 440 blocks in the garage right now, that I've personally pulled out of RVs...they carry the "440" stamp on the pad, and the bore and stroke spec out to 440 dimensions..
But were they industrial.........?

But were they industrial.........?
They're 4006630s. Was there ever an 'industrial' 440 casting? Asking because I don't know. I do have a 2658836 block that was listed as a 426 industrial block. Bored it out to 4.360 and it ran well and accepted all the usual parts.
What made industrial blocks different?

They're 4006630s. Was there ever an 'industrial' 440 casting? Asking because I don't know. I do have a 2658836 block that was listed as a 426 industrial block.
What made industrial blocks different?
No, what I'm trying to say is, if you find an industrial motor, it's a 413.
If you find a regular motor, it's a 440.
Until I see a pic of an " industrial 440" , that's all I know.

Don't let the term "RV" control what you know.
Smaller rvs = regular engine
Big huge whale rvs= industrial engine.
I don't profess to have worked on any rv lines lol

Don't let the term "RV" control what you know.
Smaller rvs = regular engine
Big huge whale rvs= industrial engine.
I don't profess to have worked on any rv lines lol
Okay! Well, one of my blocks is from a "big huge whale RV" (we call that a 'Coach' down here in the 'states haha!)..and it's the same as the one from the smaller van-cab RV. I could post pictures but it isn't any different than any other later-date 440.
Sorry we're jacking your thread Joe! This is all good info though!

Okay! Well, one of my blocks is from a "big huge whale RV" (we call that a 'Coach' down here in the 'states haha!)..and it's the same as the one from the smaller van-cab RV. I could post pictures but it isn't any different than any other later-date 440.
Sorry we're jacking your thread Joe! This is all good info though!
Exactly. Regular motor- 440
Industrial -413.
With any rv, you never know. Just a quick peek and questions are answered!
AGAIN!!- NOT SAYING IM AN AUTHORITY!

Thanks Joe! I've never seen one like that!
Sort of an inbetweener. But definitely not an industrial.
Not sure how similar the bottom end is to a pass car engine.

I had a 440 from an RV my brother had a 413 from a barn find. The 413 was industrial and had a weird crossover pipe on the heads.

Auto Transport Service
Back