• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor set back 26"

Mike Gaines

Local time
2:28 PM
Reaction score
Pix of my Funny Car from 1967 showing the extreme motor setback of 26".
The things we had to do to get traction back in the 60's.....LOL
I was 25 years old at the time and did all of the work in the back room of my Speed Shop.
Interesting thing I just noticed and remembered....To get the front of the car lower I recessed the rear leaf spring hangers UP INSIDE of the front frame rails.
Also the black and white picture shows my 4 individual header tubes just dumping down. The color picture shows those 4 individual tubes (on each side) merged into a collector to make them more of a long tube header. I had to fab this stuff myself back then...no Summit or Jegs to call and just order this stuff up.

b body pix frame.jpg Ready to go.jpg View attachment 800843 View attachment 800854 20110624_60.jpg 20110624_71.JPG

Last edited:
Mike, that's a great picture of the tubes. I did a double take when i realized i may looking at a tree in the background where the engine should be!,lol.

Auto Transport Service
Back