• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mounting a 1/2 vynal top molding on a 71 RR

droptop

Local time
6:55 AM
Reaction score
How would the best way to attach the chrome molding that separates the top from the painted area? I know they were attached from the factory with studs that had clips that slid under them, then the molding snapped onto the clips. There were also a bolt on each side that had a nut attached under the headliner. I do not want to weld studs because I don't want to take a chance on having to repaint. Any suggestions?

i have seen screws used to replace missing studs to hold down moldings.
i don't know how well it would work for you but it
might be something to try before welding studs on.

As Fly stated you can screw the clips to the roof. Has worked well for me.

i never had any personal experiance with them myself.
i have just seen them for sale in a few places.
good to know..

It is called a canopy vinyl roof. See photo of my 1 of 6 GA4 GTX, has gunmetal blue seats.

Attachments

• GTX rear.jpg
    GTX rear.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Any by the way, the moulding on a 71 isn't chrome, it matches the color of the vinyl. Later model years were chrome.

Correct, the top strip is semi gloss black to match the top material. BTW: I may be selling this nearly perfect 71 X, all numbers matching w/build sheet.

Any by the way, the moulding on a 71 isn't chrome, it matches the color of the vinyl. Later model years were chrome.

I know, but after looking for a correct '71 trim for over a year, I went with the chrome from a '72 and up. I think the chrome looks better any way.

We have been installing vinyl tops for a great many years. We usually use pop rivets to install the clips. Most trim shops have the rivets with the small heads that allow the clips to be fastened so they look very close to the factory studs. Hope this helps.

The original looks great, it has a matching grain in the top metal piece that mothces the top color. this is not a Chrysler, so NO chrome, or as in ALL of the metal strips on this X, they are ALL stainless steel aside from the grained top piece.

Polished stainless looks better in my opinion as it matches the rest of the trim on the car. None of the rest of the trim is blacked out, so it just looks out of place. Must have been what MaMopar thought as well when they changed it in '72.

Side view of top:

Attachments

• GTX side view.jpg
    GTX side view.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 225
My RR has the same vinyl top. Does anyone know of a source to get the right clips for the trim?

I am working on that. I will keep you informed.

Thanks a bunch, Droptop. I found some that are close but not the exact. Hope you have better luck

R/T Specalties sells them, ask for Tom. He sells them in a packaged set.

R/T Specalties sells them, ask for Tom. He sells them in a packaged set.
I'll have to check the site or even try to get a hold of Tom. My original ones are black. Thanks for the info.

Auto Transport Service
Back