• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mow the Transmission...

cr8crshr

Local time
1:14 PM
Reaction score
In the General Discussion Forum I stated that I am in a kind of "Grumpy" mood and I can attribute it to the on-going saga of my 66 Sat Project. To bring everyone up to date, I have had operation problems with the tranny along with 383 build that were done back in 2005-6 while I was Deployed with the AF. Well I now have a new 383 ready to install and while I had the engine out, I figured I would get it...the tranny...looked at with the Tranny Shop down the street. They have done work previously on my MOPARS and my Brothers as well, so I at least have had contact with them in the past. The Tranny Shop that I did use...not the one up the street...came recommended so I figured why not. Well I got took again. The shop up the street took it apart and among other things the following was discovered:

1. Separator Plate on the Valve Body had been hacked up and was not in good shape.
2. All Bands were there but one was totally trashed. Seems that the 1st shop just put it or left it the way it was.
3. Clutch Packs were the originals.
4. Just "SHITTY" workmanship all together.

So, I decided to get closer involved in this repair. The chap working this tranny is the owner and a MOPAR Lover so that is a great relief. He was trying to locate a Separator Plate and was having a real hard time. Also locally he was looking for a Valve Body for a 71 TF which it is, and was having a hard time there too. So I went and picked up a Turbo Action Valve Body to replace the one already there. He was ecstatic that I did this. He now is going to beef up the Clutch Pack with Heavy Duty Clutches along with Kevlar Bands and give it a real good check. Actually the Bands will be from the Diesel ones. This is exactly what I wanted done in the first one. Seems that all they did was re-cycle most of the original parts and kept the parts I had purchased for them selves. Now it is definitely after the fact with this tranny so I cannot go back at the first place and get some satisfaction. I have had this tranny done since 2006 and well we are now in 2013. It worked fine in reverse and would go into first no problems. It would shift manually but wouldn't in drive. So now I am going to be getting a better build from this second shop. Really excited too. Should be done by the end of the week. Just that it really pisses me off to no end how shops today will take any advantage they can and "RIP YOU OFF!!! This hobby is expensive enough as it is. Our Marquee/MOPAR's are quite pricey to build and maintain in the first place. And to now have to shell out additional $$$$$'s because of incompetent *** Clowns just really puts a damper on the attitude. Finally, I did learn that the first shop does have this reputation and will go to any lengths to do shoddy work. Locally they have been written up and complaints filed as to their workmanship and reliability so I guess I should at least feel some satisfaction. Any way after countless $$$$'s and disappointments it now looks like I just might have a beautiful running, 383 Ply Sat 383 cruiser before the season is over. After 8.5 years with this project...started in 2005... A MOPAR Muscle Car will be back on the road. Gotta be optimistic for this last try because if it turns out to not be fixed and running the way I feel it should then ya'll can start looking for it in the For Sale Section as I am done. But I am optimistic and feeling real good about it right now. Pics and video to follow later this month. Thanks FBBO and the great supportive group we have here. Makes it all the more??? Well lets just say you all are the best...cr8crshr/Tuck:headbang::headbang::blob1::blob1:

Tuck,

Sorry to hear about the bad experience with the tranny, but keep the faith....gonna look into my 727 tranny situation this fall too.

Hope it all works well for you and you are able to start enjoying the car soon. Don't let one bad shop taint your feelings for your old car, they never stop needing a little love and attention.

Now he just has to fix the Neutral Safety Switch wire that he cut when he pulled it. The hits just keep on commin! :icon_biggrin:

Now he just has to fix the Neutral Safety Switch wire that he cut when he pulled it. The hits just keep on commin! :icon_biggrin:

Thanks there Brother Jon. You do keep me on the path to this build and I appreciate it. Forgot about that wire as I have been engrossed in the tranny woes so I will bring my kit over and splice it back together. How's the Back????

jerk: And the title should read. "NOW" and not "MOW". Damn fat fingers...:angry1:

It always amazes me that shops can do crappy work like this and stay in business. It doesn't cost that much more (money or time) to do the job right in the first place. If they would use quality parts and take a little pride in their work, they could save everyone a lot of grief. Hang in there Tuck. Hope you are on the road soon.

Auto Transport Service
Back