• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MP cast valvecover...holy PITA!!!

RBCharger

Local time
2:46 AM
Reaction score
So trying to get the MP cast aluminum valve covers installed on my 440...what a joke. Bought the grommet kit from MP and the grommets fit the EXISTING holes! I have no source for the MP VC punch out hole grommets! My 74 needs 3 holes - PCV, Breather and filler...WTF? Anyone have a solution? Crap like this is seriously inanely stupid. They are valve covers...no one can find a grommet? MP Doesn't make one?

So trying to get the MP cast aluminum valve covers installed on my 440...what a joke. Bought the grommet kit from MP and the grommets fit the EXISTING holes! I have no source for the MP VC punch out hole grommets! My 74 needs 3 holes - PCV, Breather and filler...WTF? Anyone have a solution? Crap like this is seriously inanely stupid. They are valve covers...no one can find a grommet? MP Doesn't make one?
The world has gone to hell in a handbasket.

The world has gone to hell in a handbasket.

I'm just old and cranky. Just want to get this back together and on the road. The stock VCs are bent up and have more orange RTV on them than I thought was legal in the lower 48.

I did get the cam and timing set installed, got the lifter preload set, got the intake installed, installed the timing cover, going to change the oil and spin up the oil pump today to make sure the oil is getting into the rocker shafts etc. I noticed they buggered the wiring harness pretty badly also. I did order a replacement. Looks like they put a bunch of silicone on the bulkhead fitting on the engine compartment side. Bunch of jumper wires also.

Last edited:
I remember running into the same issue. I think the Ford ones that BDF6 gave a link are the ones.

Lol, sometimes ya' do what ya' gotta' do.........:D
upload_2022-4-22_8-13-48.png

You make it sound like a "Mopar" problem but these covers are basically a generic cast cover with the MP logo. No different than Cal Custom covers of days gone by. Grommets are no problem - just don't expect a stock grommet to fit an aftermarket cover !!

I used The Ford ones on mine and they worked fine.

Wait till you try and bolt them on the engine... ( from now on, i will always try that first) :cursin::poke:

And please pardon my frustration - these little niggly things add up. The sender unit for my car shows 3/8" as that's the only one that has a return. The sender isn't bent enough to fit my tank so I had to fiddle with that. Some of these "restoration" parts aren't even close, or they are slightly off. I don't necessarily care about the costs (within reason), but fit should be better.

Well the FORD Grommets are the same as the Mopar ones except they are for the 1/2" PCV. They don't fit the punch out on the MP cast aluminum valve covers. The groove is 1.25" dimeter, not the 1" as advertised. As it stands now these do not fit the MO cast valve covers. Back to Square 1.

Had to order the long VC studs from ARP - the kit only has 8 studs/nuts/washers...glad I ordered 2 kits! They fit perfectly with the included rubber/fiber gaskets (included w/MP Valve Covers). The other VC I was having grommet issues with went to the machine shop yesterday. I know this was mentioned - the machinist said the same thing that all of the aftermarket ones are pita to get everything fitted. Getting closer on startup!

Auto Transport Service
Back