• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSD Digital 6al problem. No spark...

Dano65

Local time
12:55 AM
Reaction score
My MSD box all of a sudden no longer produces a spark? Worked fine up till yesterday. I tried jumping the white/trigger wire but still nothing? Swapped the box into another car and it fired up so it's not the box. Checked the wiring and it's getting 12v to the box. I have it wired directly to the battery for pos/neg and the switched positive is also good along with the smaller ground wire. Orange and black are going to the coil so it all looks good but still nothing. Tried 2 other coils with the same result. I can't think of anything else short of yanking it all and starting from scratch. Anyone have any ideas? TIA

So, if you have a magnetic crank trigger (MSD?) attached to the white wire, then that could be the suspected bad part. You tested the box on another car, but was it hooked up the same, or did you use a magnetic pickup distributor (violet & green wires)? If you used a different trigger method, then the white wire circuit could be at fault in the box. If you used the white wire in the other vehicle, then I would suspect the triggering device, or wire to it.

So, if you have a magnetic crank trigger (MSD?) attached to the white wire, then that could be the suspected bad part. You tested the box on another car, but was it hooked up the same, or did you use a magnetic pickup distributor (violet & green wires)? If you used a different trigger method, then the white wire circuit could be at fault in the box. If you used the white wire in the other vehicle, then I would suspect the triggering device, or wire to it.

Duh, didn't even think of that, you're correct in the other car uses the mag pickup with the violet/green trigger wires. I'll try the other "good" box and see what happens. Thanks!

Check your voltage while cranking the engine over. Had a faulty starter once. It would turn the engine but suck the battery down to about 9 volts, too low for the MSD.

Auto Transport Service
Back