• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

msd distributor should i use a relay?

charger10

Local time
9:46 AM
Reaction score
67' charger converting to MSD ready to run distributor. should I delete ballast resistor? should I put in a relay? would relay keep voltage more constant?

all brands RTR distributors needs to get bypassed the ballast. Or you can keep it and add a jump wire between prongs or better yet ( for the look ) and my favourite and cleaner one: modify it on back ( as pictured ). This will allow to get back to stock if needed for whatever reason without rebuild your harness, just getting a new ballast.

343795-724e4074a3c1ee37c758f504ba1a54a6a.jpg
343796-8aeb8f6f7c9edb5084df6004233172f6a.jpg

Actually, dual ballast resistor don't need to get both resistors worked, just the primary, but the owner decided to make the job on both grooves anyway.

No need for relays.

The MSD ECU don't need to bypass it because the coil signal is just used as a remote on signal to the module ( newer MSD module diagrams show that ) and any voltage will turn it on, not to get the power, but all the RTR distributors, not just MSD, needs full 12 volts to work

Last edited:
all brands RTR distributors needs to get bypassed the ballast. Or you can keep it and add a jump wire between prongs or better yet ( for the look ) and my favourite and cleaner one: modify it on back ( as pictured ). This will allow to get back to stock if needed for whatever reason without rebuild your harness, just getting a new ballast.

View attachment 923998 View attachment 923999 .

Actually, dual ballast resistor don't need to get both resistors worked, just the primary, but the owner decided to make the job on both grooves anyway.

No need for relays.

The MSD ECU don't need to bypass it because the coil signal is just used as a remote on signal to the module ( newer MSD module diagrams show that ) and any voltage will turn it on, not to get the power, but all the RTR distributors, not just MSD, needs full 12 volts to work
thks for the help.

When you say relay I had to wire a relay in a Duster when the guy put an aftermarket dash and ign switch in it. And that's because the aftermarket ign switch did not have ign 1 and ign 2 as it only had ign 1 which is hot with the key on. So I could not use the ign 2 to run start power on the red 12 volt key on wire on the MSD which needs power in run and start. Soi I wired a relay of the start circuit to power that red wire while cranking. I have also heard guys with GM and Fords do this but on the 60's and all early 70's GM and Fords they have a resister bypass right off the starter relay they can actually use. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back