• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSD Question

Hammer136

Local time
3:21 AM
Reaction score
Hello all I have a rebuilt 440 with Mopar electronic ignition system. Im thinking of upgrading to the MSD any suggestions or which system has best performance.? Looking at distributor coil, wires and 6AL box?

If EFI is anywhere in your future, get a "dual sync" distributor now.

What is the intended use of this vehicle? Street only, race only or street/strip?

Yeah - my vote too. Why wouldn’t you get a “Ready to Run”? Then you don’t need the box. That’s what I bought for my stroked 440 when I restored her. No intention to race and no intention to ever put in EFI.

Or just the box and go. Done this way many times. Same box, 30 something years, at least 6 cars.

Personal opinion. Avoid the digitals. 6al is the go-to standard. Buy an old one that works if you can find one. I've got an msd (that still works) that is so old it doesn't have a model number.

No box required! Save your money!
Well there is ....to carry the spare... :rolleyes:
1969dartcleanupweek19.5 043.JPG

First thing I did is put in ready to run 3 wire get rid of all the junk! One less thing to worry about.

Hello all I have a rebuilt 440 with Mopar electronic ignition system. Im thinking of upgrading to the MSD any suggestions or which system has best performance.? Looking at distributor coil, wires and 6AL box?

I have installed dozens of the MSD set-ups for my own use and customers and have not had one fail yet. MSD website will tell you which Coil to use with it like a 8202 blaster coil to keep it working and make it last. These will fire your car quicker and dirty plugs are a thing of the past as are misfires at speed if you install it as per their directions.

If you go msd, go basic box. I tried one of those fancy programmable ones and it blew up. Msd went good for it and I replaced it with just the regular 6al and is great! Good luck!

Auto Transport Service
Back