• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSD troubleshooting

1969daytona

Local time
10:50 PM
Reaction score
Hey gang....

Got my MSD 6AL for the ole' Daytona. I've wired it up and everything seems to be fine according to the schematics from MSD. The problem the distributor isn't triggering a signal. I have for now, a single point distributor that works perfectly fine and the motor idles and rev's up to rpm without any problems. I am using it as a trigger for now. Will eventually get a Prestolite converted to a Chrylser Electronic system and use that. But, for now, I wanted to get it in the car and running.

Based on the troubleshooting procedures with the kit, I have done:

1. Ignition on., ground the wire wire from the MSD box utilized for point triggering and snap, nice spark...... Sweet...

2. but when I hook it up to the distributor's lead, nothing....... Soo, I'm confused now. The distributor in it's "Natural state" with everything hooked back OEM works just fine...... puzzled.....

PS. I am using the recommended MSD coil when I'm trying to fire up the car with the MSD unit.

For now, I am not utilizing the gray tach wire...... I just wanted to get the MSD system up and going.....

Cheers,
Troy

are you using only the ballast resistor bypass to the msd? because if you are, there will be no spark with the ignition switch in the on position only when trying to start. you have to use both ignition wires from the ignition switch, I just wired them together then to the msd box. I had the same problem a few months ago when I converted to full msd system.

are you using only the ballast resistor bypass to the msd? because if you are, there will be no spark with the ignition switch in the on position only when trying to start. you have to use both ignition wires from the ignition switch, I just wired them together then to the msd box. I had the same problem a few months ago when I converted to full msd system.

Right now, I disconnected the leads to the ballast resistor and inserted the red 12v feed for the MSD to the 12v side of the ballast resistor connection ( single blue wire 12v side ).

When I ground the white wire of the MSD ( the one that goes to the black distributor lead ) to trigger a spark with the ignition on, the coil wire arches to ground just like it should.....

Well,
Just got off the phone with MSD tech support. As some of you have eluded to, the condensor is supposed to be disconnected. Wish the instructions would have mentioned that. It isn't very intuitive to remove it if you have never done it before. Suggested to him to add it to the instructions... Unless I missed it somewhere, I don't recall reading anything to that...

So, when I get home, quess what I'm doing?

Thanks again to all that replied............ I'll yell back my results for future reference.

Well no-go...

I took the condenser out...... It's freakin' crazy. I put a test light with the ground on the distributor lead and put the point on the positive post and crank, the test light flashes on and off as it should. I put the white wire on the the distributor lead and I get arching from the coil wire to metal.. I do notice the first rotation or two, the arch isn't there then it comes on. I put the cap back on, take coil wire back on and take out plug 1 and hook up the spark plug wire and crank.... I get spark at the plug.. !!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr,

but, when I put everything back, nada.. I moved the distributor advance ( thinking the timing is not the same with the MSD ), nothing.... Maybe I just need to go to an Chrysler Electronic distributor... Lordy...... This shouldn't be so complicated !!!

Just back home so ill try to help out.

this is what I had to do, connect all leads, wires etc. so you are ready to go. remove distributor, remove plug #1. turn key to run position. spin distributor with your hand. Do you get spark? If you do that's good, if you don't make sure your msd box has power from the ign switch. there are 2 ign wires one for run and one for start. the one from start bypasses your ballast resistor giving your ignition system full 12v only while starting, the wire for run comes from the ign switch and goes to the ballast resistor, through the ballast resistor and only gives the ign system 6/9 volts.

if you do have spark while spinning the distributor, reinstall distributor, leave plug out. turn the key to start position and crank, do you have spark? if you do reinstall plug and check for timing issues ect. if not the ign wire from your ign switch (start wire) is not connected to your msd box. So really you will have 2 wires from your ign switch going to your msd box.

Or you can just quickly run a jumper wire from your battery to the msd box and see if anything changes.

Hopefully I didn't confuse you too bad. p.m with phone number and ill try to help.

Just so I understand, while cranking the engine using the key do you get spark out of plug?
If you only get spark with the key in the run position, and not in the start position

Just back home so ill try to help out.

this is what I had to do, connect all leads, wires etc. so you are ready to go. remove distributor, remove plug #1. turn key to run position. spin distributor with your hand. Do you get spark? If you do that's good, if you don't make sure your msd box has power from the ign switch. there are 2 ign wires one for run and one for start. the one from start bypasses your ballast resistor giving your ignition system full 12v only while starting, the wire for run comes from the ign switch and goes to the ballast resistor, through the ballast resistor and only gives the ign system 6/9 volts.

if you do have spark while spinning the distributor, reinstall distributor, leave plug out. turn the key to start position and crank, do you have spark? if you do reinstall plug and check for timing issues ect. if not the ign wire from your ign switch (start wire) is not connected to your msd box. So really you will have 2 wires from your ign switch going to your msd box.

Or you can just quickly run a jumper wire from your battery to the msd box and see if anything changes.

Hopefully I didn't confuse you too bad. p.m with phone number and ill try to help.

Just so I understand, while cranking the engine using the key do you get spark out of plug?
If you only get spark with the key in the run position, and not in the start position

Ronnie.
I solved the problem last week from this very suggestion on moparts. Yes, the problem was me tying into the single blue wire that goes into the ballast resistor and not utilizing the two-wire lead. I put a test light into the single blue wire and just as stated, when I turned over the starter, the test light turned off in Ignition 2 and back on in Ignition 1. I switched to the other 2-wire lead and varroooommm !!!!!, the ole' girl fired right up and purred like a kitten. I am in the process of final installation now and will use the point distributor for the trigger for a while. ( will take the condensor out as well as needed ).

Thanks again........ Lesson learned.........

awesome! I also had talked to the msd rep about these issues they told me to send the box back because it was defected. I had also performed all the checks you did, then while sitting on the couch it came to me what was going on. The MSD 6al digital really woke up my car.

Auto Transport Service
Back