• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Muffler flow comparisons.

493 Mike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:28 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone here found any unbiased comparisons? The ones I read were sponsored/conducted by muffler manufacturers and guess who's' products flowed the best!
Exhaust science does not seem to be common knowledge. I have looked for system sizing in relation to engine size with little result. Am I the only guy in the dark on this subject?
Mike LeFevre

your not the only one in the fog. i don't think there is any definitive information out there. dynomax used to give flow numbers for their mufflers. flowmaster used to say that any flow numbers weren't accurate.

My "bud" did a few tests a few years ago.
His name: Paul XXXXX, retired Lockheed-Martin Aerospace technician and he owned for 30 years Paul's engine balancing & Paul's transmission service
He found that Flowmasters flowed like crap
He said his best flow tests came from Turbo?
He has metrics to support his data.
He now lives in Idaho but he will be in So Cal in a week
I'll ask him

DROB... When we installed the 400 stroker we went straight pipes for about 2 seconds. Holy crap it was loud and no way able to be driven on the street! Got stopped before the first gas station! Didn't get any paperwork though!

I bet it flowed though!

Hay Mike, Mo from 62-65 here
How do you ever make that decision? One says 3" no restriction, the other says ya gotta have some back pressure. One says H pipe, the other says X pipe. One says out past the bumper, the other says exit just in front of rear wheels. The magazines say what there advertisers want. Go one way for torque, go the other way for high RPM. .
I say, do what you like if it is street driven.................MO

One generality you can count on, straight through glass pack type mufflers flow better than baffled mufflers and the more baffles and chambers the worse they are. Some years back I did a bunch of research on the best flowing and bought UltraFlos to replace Flowmaster Delta 50s. I was blowing check valves on my header evac system with the Flomasters. The Ultraflos definitely improved the check valve life. I wish I had saved the info I found because I'm back searching again for another car that currently has Flomaster Turbos on it that are just too loud. I'll probably just go with the DynoMax Ultraflos again.

Not true. Depends on the glass pack being used as some neck down inside.
Others that have louvers (sp?) are poor flowing when installed the wrong way.

Otherwise I agree with what is said.

Not true. Depends on the glass pack being used as some neck down inside.
Others that have louvers (sp?) are poor flowing when installed the wrong way.

Otherwise I agree with what is said.
Yeah, you have to look inside. A lot of cheap glass packs neck down to a 2 inch core.

i know the 3" system on my '65 dodge is a water trough. water is a by product of combustion and if the air flow/temps of the exhaust are not high enough the condensation never burns off.

TTI offers Dynomax mufflers with their exhaust kits. I had read awhile back that they had tested various mufflers and Dynomax was among the best on flow and noise reduction. I have them on my Belvedere, they are more quiet than what I'd like, but I can't hear what they sound like outside when my foot's in it.

i know the 3" system on my '65 dodge is a water trough. water is a by product of combustion and if the air flow/temps of the exhaust are not high enough the condensation never burns off.
Lew, I have the 2 1/2 in pipes, they spit water for a while when it's cold but seem to clear out after a little while. Do you run an h pipe or x pipe or no connection?

Lew, I have the 2 1/2 in pipes, they spit water for a while when it's cold but seem to clear out after a little while. Do you run an h pipe or x pipe or no connection?
i have the 3" dynomax mufflers with the tti 3" pipes and 2" headers with an h-pipe. one side will really dump some water the other side not as much. i used to think it was an engine issue but pretty sure it's a muffler thing now. the 3" stuff has almost 50% more cross sectional area and probably the same 50% in volume increase. it just moves the exhaust gases slower and condensate builds up rather than being heated up vaporized and pushed out. i noticed this when the first set of mufflers rusted out. the pipes were full of water droplets. a 2.5" system will move the same amount of gases faster and should run a little hotter to burn off acids and water. the trade off is higher rpm volume reduction. for what i'm doing a 1 7/8" header (which nobody makes for an early b-body) and a set of 2.5" ultra-flows would be all around better for the way i drive. the 3" pipes and dynomax mufflers are little too noisey when cold for me but do seem quiet down a little when warmed up. there is no resonance with these mufflers. showing my old age i guess; loud pipes are becoming annoying.

i have the 3" dynomax mufflers with the tti 3" pipes and 2" headers with an h-pipe. one side will really dump some water the other side not as much. i used to think it was an engine issue but pretty sure it's a muffler thing now. the 3" stuff has almost 50% more cross sectional area and probably the same 50% in volume increase. it just moves the exhaust gases slower and condensate builds up rather than being heated up vaporized and pushed out. i noticed this when the first set of mufflers rusted out. the pipes were full of water droplets. a 2.5" system will move the same amount of gases faster and should run a little hotter to burn off acids and water. the trade off is higher rpm volume reduction. for what i'm doing a 1 7/8" header (which nobody makes for an early b-body) and a set of 2.5" ultra-flows would be all around better for the way i drive. the 3" pipes and dynomax mufflers are little too noisey when cold for me but do seem quiet down a little when warmed up. there is no resonance with these mufflers. showing my old age i guess; loud pipes are becoming annoying.
TTI doesn't offer a 1 7/8" header for the early Bs, I thought 2" would be a little overkill for my engine so I went with the 1 3/4" , 2 1/2 combo. I thought they might fit a little easier, too. I think a little velocity helps a street car, maybe not. I appreciate the car is quiet inside, I'd just like to hear it once in a while. I'd guess 2 1/2s are a little quieter than 3s. The reason I asked was, does the park brake cable clear the H pipe? I had to modify the cable setup to clear the X pipe. I thought I'd use an H pipe with the 64, when I get that far.

TTI doesn't offer a 1 7/8" header for the early Bs, I thought 2" would be a little overkill for my engine so I went with the 1 3/4" , 2 1/2 combo. I thought they might fit a little easier, too. I think a little velocity helps a street car, maybe not. I appreciate the car is quiet inside, I'd just like to hear it once in a while. I'd guess 2 1/2s are a little quieter than 3s. The reason I asked was, does the park brake cable clear the H pipe? I had to modify the cable setup to clear the X pipe. I thought I'd use an H pipe with the 64, when I get that far.
the 2" headers and 3" pipes, with H, fit like a glove. i didn't move or modify anything to fit. i originally bought 1 7/8"headers and 2 1/2" pipes for the car. tti advertised the 1 7/8" to fit but later figured they won't. i sent the 1 7/8" headers back and they offered me the 2" for no charge so i went with them and kept the 2 1/2" pipes. the 2 1/2" pipes don't line up very good with 3 1/2" collectors so i just bit the bullet and put 3" pipes on the car.

Hey guys, look what I found: Classic Chambered Exhaust. Made in Michigan.

Auto Transport Service
Back