• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Multi meter setting for checking spark plug wires

67MPRFAN

Local time
7:56 AM
Reaction score
Hello I know nothing about these meters and I'm attempting to build my spark plug wires which they are MSD super conductors 8.5. Which setting do I use to get the correct reading.

0601211708.jpg

If specified at 50 ohms per foot the 400 scale should test up to 8 feet, and I assume ypur longest spark plug wire is 4 feet.

If specified at 50 ohms per foot the 400 scale should test up to 8 feet, and I assume ypur longest spark plug wire is 4 feet.

Yea probably close big block number 7 & 8 depending on how I route them

The lower the ohms the better the wire imo. I found out that I could use a carbon core distributor wire and solid core spark plug wires and not have any static on my radio or even people's TV's etc. Don't know if an MSD system would work with that but the wires I was using with points and factory performance ECM's had 0 ohms per foot!! Just had to have that carbon core coil wire on a street rig. The plug wires would last years but replaced the coil wire once a year.

The lower the ohms the better the wire imo. I found out that I could use a carbon core distributor wire and solid core spark plug wires and not have any static on my radio or even people's TV's etc. Don't know if an MSD system would work with that but the wires I was using with points and factory performance ECM's had 0 ohms per foot!! Just had to have that carbon core coil wire on a street rig. The plug wires would last years but replaced the coil wire once a year.

TRUE.....the lower the resistance (zero ohms is best) the better but there are several methods to reduce or eliminate any static generated by the ignition system. Carbon core "wires" are one method, inductive supression wires (the conductive core is spiral wound, using monel wire on a fiberglass core used for grester tensile strength capabilities) and of course using resistor spark plugs. Champion made both resistive supressor (R designation) or inductive supressor (Q designation). Perhaps, NGK or Autolite offers similar constriction. The OD of the cable, as in 8.5mm is mostly the more insulation furnished to prevent the higher voltage (presumably) generated by the MSD hardware from going to ground. WHY.....do we need resistive spark plug wires? Because the Government said we do....static polution....causing damage to our lives... There are some factions (an excellent example of the "they said" rule) say the resistance wires and spark plugs helps to "meter" the spark energy and promotes longer spark plug gap life???. I'm a big fan of non supression wires and non resistor spark plugs.....but i do not have a high performance sound system in the GTX....just an AM radio.....but just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Thanks I checked the ohms before I installed the metal distributor cap retainer/boot just to ensure I close to the same reading after the crimp. I feel a little better knowing I have some current going to my plugs

I think you can start on a higher scale, and as you reduce the meter scale the reading resolution will increase until the scale setting is too low.

Hello I know nothing about these meters and I'm attempting to build my spark plug wires which they are MSD super conductors 8.5. Which setting do I use to get the correct reading.

View attachment 1118368
Start on the 4M scale (4 Megaohms), and move down until you go off-scale, then go back one space.

As long as there is no voltage present you cannot do any harm that way.

Do yourself a favour, and measure the meter lead resistance first, and deduct from the readings to give the final result.

Start on the 4M scale (4 Megaohms), and move down until you go off-scale, then go back one space.

As long as there is no voltage present you cannot do any harm that way.

Do yourself a favour, and measure the meter lead resistance first, and deduct from the readings to give the final result.

Usually the higher meg ohm setting is used to determine leakage resistance to ground as in checking for grounds of motor stator windings or field coil windings. The best test for ground resistance testing is with a "megger" or a "high-pot" test, measuring voltage to ground as meg ohm resistance. IMO....if measuring continuity, use the R x1, or the lowest ohm scale available on the device being used. The wire or conductor has inherent resistance, generally expressed as ohms/ft x the total footage of the wire. If your measurement exceeds the calculated value by more than 10%, replace the wire or conductor. Meter lead resistance will be negligible and can generally be ignored. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back