• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Muscle Car Restorations

1969CoronetR/T

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:04 AM
Reaction score
I just purchased a 1968 Coronet R/T that needs restored. The body and paint and interior appear to be in fair condition. It runs, but the engine and transmission need rebuilt. I want to media blast the body, repair any rust, and repaint in RR1 (burgundy). Has anyone used Muscle Car Restorations in Wisconsin to restore their vehicle? If so, how long did it take and the price?
Thanks,
Mark

Yes I know a few people that had theirs done with them. They do great work and it is priced that way. I also toured the place when we tuned the Hemi Cuda on their dyno. Very organized and professional.

Many of their creations have made it into the magazines so they are a top notch operation. However, having said that.....You need very deep pockets and in my opinion the people that use them are not capable of doing any of the work themselves. I live 5 miles from their shop and visit quite often. I have seen cars in there that have been there for years. Not real sure why because I know they charge a monthly fee and do no work unless it is paid for up front. Plus, If they are not working on it, they charge storage fees. I know they are way out of my league. I had them do some work on my 68 Charger to finish the A/C plumbing and charge the system. I'm embarrassed to say what it cost but I can now see how they can do a million dollar build.

No matter what, or who you decide on, be prepared to spend MORE than you allot for. Once the restoration is started, there's No Going Back. Not much luck selling cars that are partially done, to recoup your $$, and the waiting game is No Fun either...

Like stated above, they do good work, but you pay for it. The owner has a reputation of being hard to work for and so there is a decent turnover as far as employees goes. If I were you, I would find somebody closer. Another decent one is Blue Star Performance, they are still a ways from you though, south of Chicago.

The owner has a reputation of being hard to work for and so there is a decent turnover as far as employees goes.

Ha, I did not know this, no wonder the owner offered me a job when I was there.Here I thought I was just special! LOL Good to know though.

I thought about an out of town shop, but have not done it. Seems there are modern collision shops and high end restoration shops. Not much in between. Was going to get an exterior paint job (driver) no jams or underhood. Trying to keep it under 5k. Not easy. Gave up. Good luck. MAACO won’t touch it, and I even considered shipping it to Short Dan.

I thought about an out of town shop, but have not done it. Seems there are modern collision shops and high end restoration shops. Not much in between. Was going to get an exterior paint job (driver) no jams or underhood. Trying to keep it under 5k. Not easy. Gave up. Good luck. MAACO won’t touch it, and I even considered shipping it to Short Dan.
Maaco Tucson does some really good paint jobs, but the disclaimer is you must prep the car. Was at a car show last weekend and impressed with the $5000 maaco job on a 68 barracuda. The owner and son spent many hours on the prep, disassembling, and reassembly.

I believe restoration of a classic is much like building a house. There is work that you may/will not have the skill set to perform. But that doesn't mean you cannot be the General Contractor of your own build. One stop shops are very expensive. And you lose a certain amount of control.

Farm out duties to sub contractors. Even if you know absolutely nothing. Start with disassemble. This is where you get to see what needs work. And how the car's components fit and interact. You can hire help to assist. (Assuming you have the space to operate.) Once disassembled as far as you wish and/or can afford? Then farm out restoration of components. Including body/frame for media blast and primer/coating. (The farther you disassemble? The more detailed and ultimately the deeper the restoration results.)

If you do not have the time, space, tools, support vehicle (a good truck) or knowledge to disassemble and confidence to the re-assemble once components are re-fab and/or replaced? Then restoration may not be for you. I am confident that if you have a restoration shop complete a total restoration for you? You will not recoup your investment. You may/will end up with a nice car. But you may find you could've have saved money by just purchasing a completed car.

However, there are cars that have family or other sentimental value that go beyond just a price tag. In that case. Do what you need to do. And ignore any of us so called "Experts"

Good luck. And good hunting.

Last edited:
I just purchased a 1968 Coronet R/T that needs restored. The body and paint and interior appear to be in fair condition. It runs, but the engine and transmission need rebuilt. I want to media blast the body, repair any rust, and repaint in RR1 (burgundy). Has anyone used Muscle Car Restorations in Wisconsin to restore their vehicle? If so, how long did it take and the price?
Thanks,
Mark
I know of someone about an hour from you that will elicit quality work and realistic pricing........

In my build thread I posted his information.....if you cannot find it shoot me a pm and I will send you his contact info....He did the rims on my X...

As far as costs go......quality costs....and the best shops get it....

Just because someone can’t restore a car themselves doesn’t make one that can any better......in the end the car speaks for itself no matter who payed for it and what work the owner did or did not do.......

I restore cars my way....my last restoration was no different than my previous original cars......Some, I did everything and just a couple. I farmed out the paint and body work. I learned through the years my time and enjoyment was better spent on assembly versus sanding/welding etc....

Last edited:
Check out the Finer Details in Indiana. I have seen their work but do not know anything about the costs. They have built many award winning Mopars and my guess is open up your bill fold. They will do complete restorations, just body and paint, engine/transmission rebuild, whatever you want.
http://www.thefinerdetailsinc.com/

Get detailed estimates, I don't care what other say about that, but have something in writing that is specific is good, paying for work up front before its done is BS. A quality shop will tell you what they will do and how much it will cost. Granted, yes there are hidden problems when old car bodies are stripped down, so be prepared for that, however a good shop should still be able to get you fairly close. The more work you can do the less it will cost you, even if that is just stripping down the car. Also, you will most likely never get back the money you put into a restoration, if its a high end job, if you are doing to flip the car, most spend far less to sell it on.

Thanks for the replies. I have had my cars restored by other shops so I am aware of the cost. I was asking directly about MCR.

My car is there right now. Yes, they are VERY expensive but I believe the quality of work is there. My GTX needed extensive front end repairs after a head on collision and I chose them because I thought they could fix it right and they have! I'm only having them paint and if I saved every penny I made over 2 years I wouldn't have enough to cover this paint job...

There has to be a cheaper place closer to you. Do some legwork & talk to people.

Unless you absolutely want to spend mega dollars on this particular car for unknown reasons, you would be money ahead to buy a finished car. Six figures will not be out of the question if you use MCR. And most likely the car will never be worth what you spend on the restoration. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. I have had my cars restored by other shops so I am aware of the cost. I was asking directly about MCR.
I can tell you more if you want since I've been dealing with them since last April. But, it mostly boils down to great work at a high price.

If I ever trip over a bucket of cash, Dennis Kohrs will restore a car of my choosing. He and his wife Jackie are nice people. Ive visited his shop and I think he is reasonably priced

Auto Transport Service
Back