• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Muscle car stripes that are a little weird.

SteveSS

Local time
9:39 PM
Reaction score
Have you seen some stripes on muscle cars that don't seem to have much in common with the bodywork? Like the Mustang Boss 302. I think that car's designer, Larry Shinoda is immensely talented, he did the '63 Corvette while at GM. I even became friends with him before he died. It's just that stripe is so left field it doesn't relate to the car.

Another is the Buick GS. There is some cool bodywork going on but they chose to just run a straight line down the car. Do you know of any?
boss.jpg
buick.jpg

This is a thing in all segments of cars, for most years.
Case in point, I am fixing a 78 Monaco Police car. (detectives car)
Coke bottle body made in what, 71?
Chrysler decides the best trim for it is an arrow straight line down the side of the car. Example:
64169-1978-dodge-monaco-thumb.jpg

it does not fit, it hides the actual lines, it looks bad. I want to keep my car mostly in tact, but I will NOT put that trim back on. The rear fender well is flared both ways. you can;t even tell with the trim on, your eye goes to that line instead. Sometimes I wonder if an accountant or upper managment just overruled or put their foot down on these types of decisions.

This is a thing in all segments of cars, for most years.
Case in point, I am fixing a 78 Monaco Police car. (detectives car)
Coke bottle body made in what, 71?
Chrysler decides the best trim for it is an arrow straight line down the side of the car. Example:
View attachment 1461108
it does not fit, it hides the actual lines, it looks bad. I want to keep my car mostly in tact, but I will NOT put that trim back on. The rear fender well is flared both ways. you can;t even tell with the trim on, your eye goes to that line instead. Sometimes I wonder if an accountant or upper managment just overruled or put their foot down on these types of decisions.
It's for door ding protection.

I’m not a big fan of ‘71 cuda billboards. I’m probably in the minority there, most cuda fans love them.
The cuda quarters are big and need some breaking up, but the ‘70 hockey stick stripes did the job well but more subtle.
On that subject though, why did they only offer hockey stick stripes in black? Challenger R/T stripes were offered in many colors, it makes no sense Plymouth only had black hockey stick stripes in 70.

Last edited:
I don't get the primered quarter thing either, why wreck a nice clean car with primered quarters.

Remember...they had to make these things easy for assembly line workers to put on, the same way, over and over.

Things like the GS - where else would you put the stripes? The sunset-crescent stripes were already taken by the GTO/Judge, so they couldn't do that... Same with the Boss - what other option is there?

Auto Transport Service
Back