• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mustang steering wheel splines ??

YY1

Local time
8:53 AM
Reaction score
I see repro 65-66 mustang steering wheels are $90.

They look suspiciously similar (if not identical) to 67-69 Mopar wheels.

The PG classics repro Mopar 67-69 wheel is $270.

Anyone try or have access to a mustang wheel to see if they fit?

These are the standard colored plastic wheels with three spokes and recesses on the spokes from the chrome horn ring.

It's been a long time since messing with Mustangs but iirc, the size of the shaft is different....

That's what I was afraid of.

Smaller or larger?

If the mustang shaft is smaller, the wheel might could be reamed and coaxed on for a lot less than $180.

And if the Mustang shaft is larger, then some machinist with too much spare time could fabricate inner and outer splined adapter sleeves.

I think the worst case would be where the shaft is the same size, but the Mustang uses one more or less spline for the same circumference.

And if the Mustang shaft is larger, then some machinist with too much spare time could fabricate inner and outer splined adapter sleeves.

I think the worst case would be where the shaft is the same size, but the Mustang uses one more or less spline for the same circumference.

Even if it was possible, I am quite sure that the cost for such a custom operation would far exceed the difference between the two wheels.

Even if it was possible, I am quite sure that the cost for such a custom operation would far exceed the difference between the two wheels.

Until some off-shore operator started selling them for $4.29 each :)

I just got done examining pics of both, and while I'm unable to tell if the shaft size or splines are the same, I did notice that the metal center appears to be either riveted or roll-pinned to or through the plastic.

It may be possible to change out the center.

Auto Transport Service
Back