• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 64 Max -Wedge Build

hogpowr

Local time
4:36 AM
Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread showing the progress of my 64 Max-Wedge build. For those who have not seen my previous posts, this is my very lucky barn find. Once I purchased the car I realized this is a real 426 HC factory light weight car. It came from the factory in EE1 Dark blue and had the L1B light blue interior. My goal is to restore it not to factory original, but to "day 2" race version. I plan to paint it original dark blue. I hope you enjoy the pictures as I post
them. The blue version is how I found the car in the barn. I have since bead blasted it and have started the repair work.

. IMG_1297.jpgIMG_1079.jpgIMG_1180.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Trunk has been cut out. New trunk pan is ready to get plug welded back in.

IMG_1341.jpg

IMG_1377.jpgIMG_1380.jpgIMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1297.jpg IMG_1079.jpg IMG_1180.jpg IMG_1341.jpg IMG_1377.jpg IMG_1380.jpg IMG_1381.jpg

looking real good thanks for sharing :headbang:

Nice car, keep us posted. Just gotta ask, what's up with the grille??

Very nice ! Ron

Looking good, hogpowr. Will be nice to follow along.

Looks cool.
is that a AMD trunk pan? How's the fit?

someone cut the rear fenderwells out during its super stock days.. Then someone else put patch panels back in. the outer fenderwells are decent, but they did a poor job of putting it together on the inside. the trunk floor is AMD. It actually fit very nicely. I needed to do a little work on the outer edges.. but overall I"m very happy with the fitment of the floor pan.

The car started out life with a 4 speed.. then someone cut the front 1/3 of the tunnel and middle 1/3 of the firewall out to put a auto in it.. the work was not good.. Man I know these where just race cars, but you would think someone would actually take pride in the welds and craftsmanship.. This really makes me wonder who raced this car now.. fenderwells cut out.. auto put in.. this must have been a super stock car for quite a while..

IMG_1402.jpgIMG_1401.jpgIMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1401.jpg IMG_1402.jpg IMG_1403.jpg

Was slow going around the holidays, but been doing a lot of cutting the last few days.. inner wheel wells are ready to get repaired. I have the trunk hinges ready to be welded in. I'm also almost ready to replace the front floor pan. Will get some pictures on eventually.

Was the reason for the patch panels the rear axle moved forward? There were some 4% (rear axel moved forward 4%) cars running back then this could be one of them.

It doesn't appear that the rear axles where moved.. The rear wheelwells were cut out at some point while this was in super stock form. Then someone else put the patch panels back in. This poor car has been through the "ringer" very solid, but definitely an abused race car for a long time. Slowly getting it back to respectable.

I am going to send the dash in for restoration by instrument specialties in Rhode Island. Can anyone provide a review of their services?

Also, I decided to buy a complete front floor pan. Too many holes and rust spots to try and do a respectable repair job on. AMD floor pan, here we come. Man I'm so jealous of those camaro, chevelle, mustang, corvette guys. Every part & body panel available for reasonable price. It takes guts to restore and old MOPAR......

I am going to send the dash in for restoration by instrument specialties in Rhode Island. Can anyone provide a review of their services?

"They did my 62 Ply, came out real nice. Takes a while but, worth the wait".

nice thanks for sharing your updates

Was the reason for the patch panels the rear axle moved forward? There were some 4% (rear axel moved forward 4%) cars running back then this could be one of them.

I was wondering the same thing. I've never heard of the 4% cars but 2% was pretty common before going to the full on altered wheelbase platforms at the end of '64.

This is a great thread, I'll definitely be watching. Are you planning on building a real Max Wedge or an RB lookalike?

Auto Transport Service
Back