• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My '65 Dodge 440 engine making a strange noise...

zeek

Local time
6:35 AM
Reaction score
I recently purchased this "barn find" 65 Dodge Coronet 440. It actually has a factory HP 1969 440 engine that has been built for performance. It took me almost two weeks now to get it running right, but now I am hearing a strange tinny very noisy rattle coming from what appears to be the center area of the engine. At first I though it was the starter bendix not disengaging, but after replacing the starter relay the noise still is there. Im not very familiar with mopar engines. I sounds like it is coming from beneath the valley pan under the intake manifold.

Is there anything under there that could have come loose and bouncing around????

20200925_133835.jpg 20200831_162455.jpg

Sounds can travel, looking for a “tinny” sound, I’d also pull off your trans dust cover to see if there is anything floating around in there or rubbing.

To OP, heat riser(if stock manifolds), trans dust cover? But pull the valve covers & see what you see.

Before you start tearing things apart, If you have a stethoscope, try probing around in different places to see where the noise is coming from. Could be the fuel pump push rod. I had that happen once. The rod wasn't worn but the spring in the fuel pump was weak and not keeping pressure on the push rod. Sounded like a wrist pin or rod to me at first.

How about a video so we can hear it?

I crawled up underneath the beast while running and verified that the starter bendix was staying engaged to the flywheel.... Decided wtf....starters are cheap enough....Ill just change it. Well, I was right about the cheap part...under 70 bucks, but what a pain in the *** to change....No way to get to it without dropping the driver side header. Easy enough...nope....Had to disconnect the steering arm and tie rods just to get enough clearance to drop the header to get to the starter. Finally get it out and off to Auto Zone (yes...they have parts for a 65 Dodge) got a new starter fought like a bitch to get it back in only to find it wouldn't fit....
mad5.gif
Took it back out and noticed the new starter had some kind of stupid universal hook up for the battery cable. By the time I figured out I could just remove it, I had already spent 7 hours in the garage. Decided to call it a night and finish it in the morning....Gotta get this crap fixed....Crusin the Coast starts this Sunday!

Sounds like you have new model "mini" starter with removable battery connection. I suspect any brand/model of headers require loosening/removal to change the starter. I had the old Hooker Competition adjustable's on my '65 Coronet. They had the #7 tube that wrapped around the frame rail & was separate from the rest of the header. Took the #7 tube off & the starter would come out, even with the old full size gear reduction starter.

For a low/no budget stethascope, I've used a straightened out coat hanger. Curl up one end, put it in your hand and make a fist, hold your fist to your ear. Put the other end on whatever component you want to hear. Bingo! May not be as good but it works for me. Can hear all sorts of stuff when probing.

broom stick makes great stethoscope.
Just cut it down,one end against whatever
you want to check,other end to your ear.
Can reach along way without sticking your head
places you shouldn't be.

Broomstick should be wood,metal won't work.

Thanks for the input folks. It took me two days to change the starter....that's gotta be a record! But the good news is the noise is gone! So it was a bad starter solenoid staying engaged. I was a PIA job, but I got to know the car a little better.....:D

It was a bad bendix not retracting.. but we know what you mean! Glad you got it sorted out!

Auto Transport Service
Back