• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 68 Charger - A Work In Progress

In addition to all of the electrical work I did yesterday, I also took off some access panels & painted Black as 2 owners ago painted the firewall Black & the engine bay Red with all parts in place with the engine & transmission out.

IMAG1555.jpg
IMAG1556.jpg
IMAG1557.jpg
IMAG1561.jpg
IMAG1562.jpg
IMAG1563.jpg
IMAG1564.jpg
IMAG1565.jpg
IMAG1566.jpg
IMAG1575.jpg

Worked on cleaning up the window washer nozzles as they were painted over Red.

IMAG1576.jpg
IMAG1577.jpg

Worked on cleaning up the wiper motor that was coated in black paint as well as the splash guard.

DSC_0136.JPG
IMAG1578.jpg
IMAG1579.jpg
IMAG1581.jpg
IMAG1583.jpg
IMAG1584.jpg
IMAG1585.jpg
IMAG1588.jpg

The two metal panels and 2 rubber panels are access panels to the A arm cam bolts to perform alignment...

Keep the pics coming looking good...

Job I dreaded , but bit the bullet and got er done this weekend. Paint was coming off my engine from spilled gas and probably doing something wrong ( to cold) the first time I painted it. And the rattle can Dupli-color did not match from one can to the other. Valve covers were painted later, and I think the air temperature and humidity change is what caused the difference. Masking off EVERYTHING not to be painted, and protect from overspray. Sounds MUCH easier than it is. I took off the carb and dist cap with wires , and left everything else in place. Hours and hours and it was hot in the shop. But, I did get it painted and tomorrow I will de-mask , and see were all the places I missed are.............................MO

Thanks guys! Looking forward to my NOS parts coming so I can update my progress. Having a blast!

Job I dreaded , but bit the bullet and got er done this weekend. Paint was coming off my engine from spilled gas and probably doing something wrong ( to cold) the first time I painted it. And the rattle can Dupli-color did not match from one can to the other. Valve covers were painted later, and I think the air temperature and humidity change is what caused the difference. Masking off EVERYTHING not to be painted, and protect from overspray. Sounds MUCH easier than it is. I took off the carb and dist cap with wires , and left everything else in place. Hours and hours and it was hot in the shop. But, I did get it painted and tomorrow I will de-mask , and see were all the places I missed are.............................MO
Please excuse, I got this in the wrong thread. Should have been " What I did to my Mopar today" But since I am here, The painted engine came out very well. The tedious and time consuming masking, was worth the effort .........................MO

No worries Mo, LOL! I always appreciate your comments & input. I'll check out your post.

Whole bunch of parts came in today and 1 last package due in tomorrow. Tonight's project was to install the exhaust tip hangers that I bought from a fellow member here.

Earlier in the week spayed the bolts down with penetrating oil to soak in. Took my drill wire brush and took off the undercoat & rust. Got the 1st bolt unscrewed & hit it with more oil & screwed it & unscrewed it working it in. Once it was off and then began on the other side.

Had the bolt 3/4 of the way down & snap! The nut inside the rail came undone and the bolt just spun around & around. If everything was easy everyone would be doing it, so I took some picture wire & wrapped it around the bolt & tab to at least attach it to the frame for the mean time.Any idea what I can do at this point?

Got some easier projects to do tomorrow so stay tuned!
IMAG1589.jpg
IMAG1590.jpg
IMAG1601.jpg
IMAG1602.jpg
IMAG1604.jpg
IMAG1606.jpg
IMAG1607.jpg
IMAG1608.jpg

Busy day (8hrs+) today as I'm getting ready to go to a show close to my house tomorrow. Installed the back seat jute, seat adjuster knob on the passenger side & under hood wiring clips I got from Mega Parts.

Also installed a NOS bench seat belt clip. Spray painted the wiper motor with Testors Gold Flake paint which matches very close to Yellow Zinc Chromate & coated the wiring area with Red Insulating Varnish.

Vacuumed & power washed the car & then took it out for a drive.

IMAG1615_BURST002_COVER.jpg
IMAG1617.jpg
IMAG1610.jpg
IMAG1619.jpg

Didn't get much done this weekend but put in some cardboard where the speakers used to be to reduce some noise. Wish the package tray was in better shape otherwise I would have taken the speaker covers out also.

I have a 16 year old trunk mat & a spare tire off a 70 Charger that I bought from a fellow member here on their way to me, so will post an update when they come in.

IMAG1701.jpg
IMAG1702.jpg
IMAG1703.jpg

Busy day today. My trunk mat & spare tire came in yesterday. Made a wheel base cover & painted it grey.

IMAG1708.jpg
IMAG1707.jpg
IMAG1710.jpg
IMAG1713.jpg
IMAG1728.jpg
IMAG1729.jpg
IMAG1730.jpg
IMAG1731.jpg
IMAG1732.jpg

Picked up a wheel jack at my sisters house & I had an old universal tire iron that I've had since 1987.

IMAG1723.jpg
IMAG1722_BURST002_COVER.jpg
IMAG1735.jpg
IMAG1736.jpg
IMAG1737.jpg
IMAG1738.jpg
IMAG1739.jpg
IMAG1740.jpg

Like the jack + lug wrench. Word of warning secure that jack, a wack on quarter from inside trunk, ouch.

Well had a chance to get down to the shop today to see my tranny out as it had to be rebuilt due to worn clutches. Could use some help with these #'s
IMAG1877.jpg
IMAG1878.jpg
IMAG1879.jpg
IMAG1875.jpg
Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG
IMAG1874.jpg

How much?
Was the transmission rebuilt previously?
Any clue to failure?

There should be stamped numbers on the driver side pan rail which will tell you the year and application.

How much?
Was the transmission rebuilt previously?
Any clue to failure?

Right now I'm looking at about $2300 for the rebuild + a new converter. They took the drive shaft off and have cleaned it up as well as coating it. I'm pretty sure this is the 1st rebuild as the both u-joints are stamped DETROIT, which is cool. I'm keeping both of those as souvenirs.

I've got them doing a few other things as well:
1. Fix aftermarket Tac
2. Get the factory Temp, Oil Pressure & Clock working again & replacing all instrument panel lights.
3. Spare trunk & door keys made.
4. I saw some rot under the drivers side floor pan just below the area under the high beam switch. I was under the car & saw it flaking away exposing the carpet insulation. Hopefully it's a small area that can just be patched up but my guess is a new floor pan on the drivers side.

There should be stamped numbers on the driver side pan rail which will tell you the year and application.

Snap, forgot to post this pic as well, Thanks!
PK2892031K 23647333
PK = Kokomo IN
2892031 = A727 1968 for 383-4
2364 = Wednesday, January 17, 1968
7333 = 7,333rd transmission built that day

Pic's of my cars #'s
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/pictures-of-my-cars-s.135859/

IMAG1876.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back