• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 68 Super Bee project

Whatsiss

Local time
4:39 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’ve been creeping on here for a long time, posted a couple years ago about my wife surprising me by getting me my dream project car, and now I’ve finally moved into a house with a garage and Im going to be able to start work on it! When I got it, it was in primer paint it came with a 400 and a 727 and the previous owner didn’t know anything about it. It didn’t have a fender tag, but the VIN said it was originally a coronet with a 383. So I figured since it wasn’t coming with numbers matching stuff or a fender tag I’d turn it into a super bee. I’m not real worried about everything looking 100% original and I plan on adding a few quality of life things like bucket seats, and disc brakes

I’ve been collecting parts from members of this forum and other places, so far I’ve gotten a ralleye dash, a 1970 440 and a rebuilt 4 speed. Still needs a whole bunch of stuff, but I’ll be chipping away at all of it as I get funds. So far I’ve taken it to a body shop and had him work the body and paint it, the only step I didn’t want to do myself. Outside that I plan on doing everything else

I’ve been an avionics technician on aircraft for about 7 years and I was a commercial diver for a couple years so I’m mechanically inclined, however I’ve never really worked on cars, except for when my drivers have broken things. Having said that I’ll be learning a lot along the way, mostly on YouTube and the internet, so if you see I’m about to do something wrong, that I might miss something, or you have suggestions please feel free to chime in. I’d rather have someone call me out than to damage something expensive. Looking forward to finally being able to put wrenches on it!

4F2764C6-D29F-4D5C-B392-162EE9D04BC6.jpeg
76C6BAA3-EA86-4523-80AE-C15DBAE8188E.jpeg
B361A618-F3B7-439D-A096-7E4FD08ED5F3.jpeg
79BA4256-33EC-4814-81E3-461B0D597CE8.jpeg
6FE6D5E9-F7A2-48F5-8C74-8743FF5F643F.jpeg
1E63B168-74BB-4437-A92F-BA07D73EBAE2.jpeg
DF39F137-58FB-42AA-AA60-531C08F3DED1.jpeg

Glad you are doing what you want with the car. Make it yours.

Welcome from the South, this site can sure help with great info and motivation when needed, here s to your great success with this one.......

Belated welcome. I like the top line on your "need to get" list..........BEER! Best of luck with your "Great Pumpkin"! I love orange.
:thumbsup::drinks:

Great color choice! What Aircraft did you work on? I worked as an avionics tech on C-17's and C-5's for about 15 years. At least you will not be scared when it comes tome to rewire!

Thanks everyone I appreciate the encouragement. I’ll post updates as they come, though they’ll probably be slow as we just bought a house so there’s not a ton of spare cash lying around.

Great color choice! What Aircraft did you work on? I worked as an avionics tech on C-17's and C-5's for about 15 years. At least you will not be scared when it comes tome to rewire!
I worked on Super hornets in the navy for 4 years then got out and did a couple years contracting for the marines working on their legacy hornets. Then did a year contracting for the air force working on B-52s. But yea I have plenty of wiring supplies that I’ve acquired haha

The car looks great! It is always fun when they are painted and the assembly begins. The car comes together with every piece that goes onto it!

Was able to finagle the dash out. Now I just have to find rivets to transfer the vin plate to the new dash. Anybody know what a fair price for a sweep dash is? I don’t know if it works or not, but it looks like it’s in decent condition.
ECA09ED0-EDD3-4285-A04E-91344A2831F1.jpeg
7B7B4DE5-D3B0-4775-BD36-FC24FDFBF88A.jpeg

Do you want to swap to a rally dash?

He's building a Super Bee clone, Super Bees came std with Rally dash so if he wants it semi convincing it needs a rally dash.... And he's already bought one.. So Yeah, I'm thinking a rally dash would be good...

Looks like a great project & your off to a great start... Good color choice!!

Auto Transport Service
Back