• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 69 Road Runner

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:33 AM
Reaction score
Decided to tear apart my Road Runner and redo the car better than I did the first time. Kind of a long story about the car and why it is special to me. Back in 1984 when I was 16, there was a guy in a neighboring town that was heavy into Mopars. He had a 5 acrce or so chunk of land leased on the outskirts of town filled with cars and parts. At the time I had a 73 Cuda that I had just had repainted and got driveable. My cousin who is a year older than me had a 73 Charger that he needed something for and asked if I wanted to ride with to go see this goofy guy and hope to be able to buy a part from him. This fellow was known to want crazy prices for what he had and really didn't want to sell anything. Anyway, we make the trip, and just like we thought, were unable to make a deal on what my cousin needed. While we were there, a blue RR caught my eye and I went to check it out. The guy said he had just brought it to WI from Texas and was going to resell it. He wanted $2200 for the car. Of course at that point in my life, I had no money and always had to sell my current car to buy the next one. I really liked the B-body and made the decision to try to get it. Took me about a month to get a decent offer on my Cuda, which just happened to be $2200. Although I thought the guys asking price on the RR was high for the condition it was in, I wanted it. With funding now available I got ahold of the seller only to find out it was already sold. Ended up forgetting about that car, kept my Cuda for another year, and bought a hopped up Duster a year later.
Then life got in the way, got rid of my Mopar, went to tech school, started working full time, built a house, got married, had 2 kids. 2004 went through a nasty divorce and lost 1/2 of everything I had worked for.
In 2005 I met a woman who had recently lost her husband to cancer. We hit it off, and she turned out to be a car gal to boot. Knowing that I used to love these old cars, she talked me into buying a 69 Road Runner convertible to help get my mind off my current life issues. Then one day her son came home from school talking about a girl in his class mentioning that her Mom had a old Plymouth. It was her Fathers pride and joy until his untimely death from cancer a couple of years previous. Sounded like the Mom was finally going to be ready to sell the car. We got the contact info and made plans to check out the car. Turns out it was a fairly solid blue 69 Road Runner that had been sitting for some time. By this time it was no secret the car may be for sale and the woman had several other people contacting her. My future wife and I seemed to hit it off with her and made a deal for her asking price. Found out later another guy offered her $5000 more than I bought it for, but she didn't care for the dude as he talked about fixing it up and reselling.
Got the car picked up a week later. It was very hard for the woman as she broke down in tears the whole time we were there, but said several times she knew it was going to a good home.
I knew the guy who I talked to in 84 was still around, so I called him asking if he thought this was the same car I looked at 20 years earlier. He confirmed it was and told me that he sold it to the widows husband who hardly put any miles on it. Also told me he heard it might be for sale and was trying to buy it back from the woman, and I knew of at least 2 others were as well.
Unfortunately I didn't take any pics at that time, but here is what it looked like after taking it kind of apart. Found out it still had it numbers motor and 4-speed.

P3300094.JPG

I really didn't know anything about restoring these cars, not that I know much now either, but I do know more than I did then. I took the car to the local body shop. They had the exterior media blasted before putting it in etch primer and repainting it. Of course this process took a lot longer than I was told because they catered to collision work and just fit this in at slow times. I didn't remove the rear end, dash, steering column, or K-frame. This is as far as the car was taken apart.

P4210119.JPG

Last edited:
Great Story Hunt . . . and I know this will be ( yet another ) great build thread going up on this site . . . can't wait to follow along ! ! !

Awesome story , neat car ... maybe take her for a drive with you or let her drive it .. so she knows it’s being well cared for or invite her over with family to see it when completed.. New cars usually won’t create the love or feeling old ones do/ will. Everyone used to be proud to get their first car and most loved them not just because of the car it was that first taste of freedom.. Best of luck I’m sure it will be a great car when it’s all done!

So my dilemma was that I like working on these cars and figure I have one more half assed restoration left in me. I have 3 cars now and really don't want another. I did my Charger, Duster, and Super Bee on a rotesserie and learned a little more on each of them. There were a few things bothering me about the RR, so I made the call to blow it apart and start over.

Do it once and do it right! Or to your very best ability.. IMO

Great story, man. I love those tales of missing out on a car, and years later fate brings you and her together at last. I tried that with my 69 Charger that I sold back in '92. Sold the car to a guy in upstate PA, then I moved to Ohio. Contacted him 25 years later to buy her back, but no dice. So, I still miss my Charger, but my wife encouraged me to get another old Mopar... hence, my current love affair with my 68 Coronet.
Did I mention I still miss my Charger?

I really didn't know anything about restoring these cars, not that I know much now either, but I do know more than I did then.

I was the same way... in the old days I just drove them (you and I are the same age). When I bought my (project) Coronet, I had to learn the rebuild process. With the guys on FBBO, and a couple older Mopar friends here in the area, I learned enough to do a decent rebuild. I never pictured myself tearing apart and rebuilding: suspension, brakes, steering, interior, or doing bodywork... but anything can be learned.

I was the same way... in the old days I just drove them (you and I are the same age). When I bought my (project) Coronet, I had to learn the rebuild process. With the guys on FBBO, and a couple older Mopar friends here in the area, I learned enough to do a decent rebuild. I never pictured myself tearing apart and rebuilding: suspension, brakes, steering, interior, or doing bodywork... but anything can be learned.
What's even funnier is that my Grandpa started the Chrysler dealership in our small town in 1950. So when my cousin and I got our licenses, we would get the trade ins for $300-$500, beat the crap out of them, and have to sell that one to get the next because we had no money.

We have been through a lot. I had the original motor and transmission rebuilt. Not enough power, so first added 3.91 gears out back. Drove it that way for a couple of years. Then pulled the original motor and trans and put them in the corner of my garage. Had a 451 and another trans rebuilt, went to 3.55's in the rear. Life was good until #4 cam bearing spun and lost oil to the top end. Had that redone. Switched out the bad solid cam for a hydraulic flat tappet. Went through the entire front end last summer, so that is all good. Here is what the car looked like 2 months ago.

IMG_0861.JPG rr.jpg

Awesome story , neat car ... maybe take her for a drive with you or let her drive it .. so she knows it’s being well cared for or invite her over with family to see it when completed.. New cars usually won’t create the love or feeling old ones do/ will. Everyone used to be proud to get their first car and most loved them not just because of the car it was that first taste of freedom.. Best of luck I’m sure it will be a great car when it’s all done!
I am in the heating business and she actually called me to check her furnace 10 years ago. Told her I would take her for a ride anytime she wanted. She still thought it would bring back too many memories at that time. She sold her house and moved out of State shortly after that.

What's even funnier is that my Grandpa started the Chrysler dealership in our small town in 1950. So when my cousin and I got our licenses, we would get the trade ins for $300-$500, beat the crap out of them, and have to sell that one to get the next because we had no money.

That's a great story with a happy ending as well. It seems that Mopar is a part of your families blood! Best of luck with the rebuild!
:thumbsup:

And a pic of how the poor thing looks today.

20210213_103211.jpg

Started working on some of the things that I didn't care for that the body shop did the first time around. This car was an original bench seat car with a silver interior of all things. When I got it, someone had put white bucket and rear seat from a Satellite in it. The door panels and upper quarter frames were painted blue. Not having the silver specific parts and not knowing how I would like that combo, I decided to go black because that is my favorite. When I bought the car, I didn't even know what the codes on the fender tag meant, so I guess I have made some progress over the years....
While in the shop, the guy doing the work enlightened me on the fact that bucket seat cars should have floor braces for the inner tracks. So I ordered a set from Year One and dropped them off to him. After the car was done I noticed he welded them on the bottom of the car. When I questioned him about it, he said that's where they should be. Found out the truth later. Found an original set of them for this go round, removed the incorrect ones, and got the new ones welded in properly. You can see how much smaller and thinner the ones Year One is selling are.

20201212_160720.jpg 20201212_160725.jpg 20201212_160932.jpg 20201212_160945.jpg 20201225_114506.jpg

Some pics of the original silver paint on the rear upper quarter area.

20210125_164824.jpg 20210125_164853.jpg 20210125_164903.jpg 20210125_164907.jpg

Decided to add a buddy seat to the car. Found a guy on here from MN who had one and the brackets for sale and made the trip to pick it up last fall. This has a story as well. A couple of years ago I heard of a guy 15 miles away selling his Mopar stuff so went to check it out. He had a 68 Charger that he had started tearing apart, a 68 Charger parts car, and a bunch of parts. I wanted all his 4-speed stuff, but he wanted to move everything together. I passed because I didn't have the room or the time to spend selling everything I didn't want. Fast forward to last fall and my trip to MN. Wouldn't you know, the guy selling the buddy seat bought the whole lot and was selling off the parts he wasn't going to use. Weird how things work out sometimes. So this came out of the 68 Charger parts car. I like this style better than the 69's because they don't have the extra plastic strap wrapping around the back to hide the seam. Special ordered a Legendary 68 style cover with 69 grain. Extra $15, but worth it imo.

20201020_154258.jpg 20201229_182019.jpg 20201226_093852.jpg

Last edited:
I have grown to love the buddy seat myself. Helps hold my lard butt upright when on extended
cruises - the ultimate armrest. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back