• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My '70 Road Runner

sjautobody

Local time
11:21 PM
Reaction score
Hello, this is the '70 Road Runner I just picked up. It is a 383 air grabber 4-speed car. While the trans numbers do not match, it does have a '69 440 18 spline trans installed, the motor numbers match, however the motor is currently locked up. (will be getting rebuilt this winter). All the air grabber stuff is there, very solid car, needs trunk pan, lower rear quarters, and a little patch work around the back window. Floors and frame sections are solid.

Factory dual exhaust car, has power disc brakes, and a front sway bar. Going to repaint it original color, will add the V21 hood option because they just look cooler with the hood stripes, and most likely a go wing spoiler, again, they look cooler with them IMO.

Leaving it a bench seat, but will do decor package. Has what looks like '69 style door panels in it now, and they are destroyed anyways.

Sadly, someone mounted something on the inner fender structure and drilled through the Trans code. I have talked to many people and the census is it is a D21, based off what can be made out on the tag, and looking the car over. There is no build sheet sadly.

RR6.jpeg

RR4.jpeg

RR5.jpeg

RR1.jpeg

RR2.jpeg

RR8.jpeg

RR9.jpg

And it's a coupe!! Kinda rare to find one of those.....

Looks like a nice car to work with.

It's a California car with turn down exhaust (rather than tips) - IIRC that is what N97 shows.

And it's a coupe!! Kinda rare to find one of those.....
Thats one part I really like. My dad has had '70's since he was in high school, so I grew up riding around in different '70 satellites and sport satellites. they have all been hardtops and the back windows roll down.. He had 1 '70 Road Runner, and my brother bought it from him. This one popped up and had the options I liked, and the color isn't very popular, and it was a coupe 4 speed car. So I snagged it. :):)

My Favorite year R/R. Hard to see on the hood but dose it have the engine callout on the back side? RM21 should. BTW Welcome to the site.

Nice project! Is that the super bird type roadrunner decal on the rear 1/4 panel?

Probably wouldn’t take to much to make it drive as it is, if you already have dents, who cares about door dings!
:rofl:

Nice project! Is that the super bird type roadrunner decal on the rear 1/4 panel?

Probably wouldn’t take to much to make it drive as it is, if you already have dents, who cares about door dings!
:rofl:
yup, someone added some superbird decals to the quarter panels... The plan was to get it drivable and run/drive it the rest of the summer, but the motor is locked up. I have a '66 383 I might do a quick motor swap on, just to make it run/drive while the other motor is getting fixed, but haven't decided.. I have a '66 Satellite I need to get sold and will probably just drive that around until it sells and work on the Road Runner.. get the rust repair done and jam/under hood painted with the motor out and go from there..

The only difference between a 66 and a 70 383, is 5 hp…and not being #’s matching. Had a 66 383 in my 68 crew cab roadrunner, it was fast enough for my 10” manual drum brakes
:lol:

The only difference between a 66 and a 70 383, is 5 hp…and not being #’s matching. Had a 66 383 in my 68 crew cab roadrunner, it was fast enough for my 10” manual drum brakes
:lol:
ya.. it would just be a temporary thing until I got the numbers motor redone this winter.. but we will see what happens.. might pull the heads off and see what it looks like before I pull the whole motor out

Very nice project. Finding one with an intact, original fresh air system is rare.

Wow, sweet!! I really like 70 road runners, I've had a few. Great you got the original engine with it, that is a score! The fact that it is a coupe makes it that much sweeter. Doesn't look bad rust wise either, how about some under hood pictures? Really like the gold dust down the side, my black 6 pack car had that on it, along with the gold trunk stripe. Congrats, I'm happy for ya!

Great looking 70 and I love the color. I have a B5 coupe and the one nice thing about them they seem more solid with less rattles etc. Keep that color and as someone else said get it running as it doesn't look too bad.

Sweet find! See an interesting Dodge wagon in the background too.

Auto Transport Service
Back