• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My best buddies.

383man

Local time
1:40 PM
Reaction score
About 3 to 4 months ago my girl Alley (Yellow Lab) was not doing real good as she was 12 years old in Sept. Both dogs stay with me downstairs most of the time. Well my girl started not coming up the steps in the morning around 6 am when they wake me up to go out. Some days she did not get up the steps and go outside until lunch or later. I was getting real worried about her as she weighs 115 lbs and I cant carry her with my back and knee problems. I already had her on Dashquin and tramadol. I called the Vets again and they gave me a med called "Galliprant" to put her on. They said it helps older dogs a lot and it sure did . Three days later she was doing much better and she is still doing good up to now. I am so happy she is doing better as we have had her over 10 years as I got here from my brother when she was about 1-1/2 years old. We have had my black Lab/Border Collie since he was 6 months and he will be 9 in a month. I also worried how Jack the black one ( he is 100 lbs) would act if we lost Alley. But thankfully both are doing very good right now. I even notice my girl Alley having more energy doing the day. This med called Galliprant has really helped her. And these guys are my best buddies since I am retired on disability I spend a lot of my time with them. They are a big part of my family and I love them very much. Ron

408637848.jpg

408492028.jpg

Last edited:
Love the dogs

they are family to me

hell I like my dog more than family some cases :poke:

I hope Alley feel the best she can

When my dog Lord Budnicks RIP
(85-90# chocolate lab, 100+# in his prime)
got to about 12-13
(he lived to about 16.5, before cancer took him)
I started treating him with a product for Osteoarthritis
(he didn't have dysplasia, just stiffness, soreness after hunting, playing)
it's actually given to horses 'Bio-Flex' IIRC

(it's been a while since I bought it, I'd get it at Tractor Supply in a 30-32oz bottle,
for like $28-$30 (?), put it in his water about an a cap full less than an Oz. a bowl,
probably about a 2 day treatment, I'd just do it every time, I filled his water bowl,
with fresh water, it's like 1gal. bowl, unfortunate side affects are farts
it was like a miracle cure, compared to the pills, cheaper too, he started acting
like he was younger wanted to play more & he could clime stairs again, without assistance',
like a champ, he was actually running & playing fetch still, till a few days just before he died,
god I miss 'my Buddy', I have Elvis a 3 y/o lab now)

my oldest sister is a vet, in Portland Or. now
I asked her if it was good or if it's OK to give him,
IMO the expensive pills, weren't doing the best job
she said;
'it's the same for dogs or cats, most all mammals
it's just more concentrated, it's got a sweet taste,
it won't &/or it doesn't hurt to give it to most any mammals,
horses, dogs or cats',
not good for goats supposedly
I think because of their type of digestive track

it's just marketed to horse people, at a higher concentrate

sorry I don't remember all the ingredients
it's in a liquid form, quick working too, far better than the pills
that mainly just make expensive piss/poo, they don't digest all of it
(been there done that too)

IIRC it's something like 1500mg per/oz glucosamine & 500mg chondroitin
plus MSM, NSAID for animals

if any of that makes sense

Last edited:
I was not much of a Dog lover until I met the woman that became my Wife.
Now, I cannot imagine a house with no dogs to pet and play with. I absolutely love them. Ours get plenty of love and exercise.
Having stated that, we have to be careful to NOT overfeed our pets. It is easy to do when they hang around us at mealtimes or if we are trying to get them to go outside, come inside, etc. Excessive weight is hard on any living thing. I've seen dogs that are grossly overweight and it absolutely shortens their lifespan.

Glad she is doing better, our poodle/lasa mix was just diagnosed with Lymes disease last month and completed a 4 week course of Doxycyclene. He had trouble with stairs and was very lethargic, he is much improved now and he will be 14 in February. Just my 2 cents worth.

About 3 to 4 months ago my girl Alley (Yellow Lab) was not doing real good as she was 12 years old in Sept. Both dogs stay with me downstairs most of the time. Well my girl started not coming up the steps in the morning around 6 am when they wake me up to go out. Some days she did not get up the steps and go outside until lunch or later. I was getting real worried about her as she weighs 115 lbs and I cant carry her with my back and knee problems. I already had her on Dashquin and tramadol. I called the Vets again and they gave me a med called "Galliprant" to put her on. They said it helps older dogs a lot and it sure did . Three days later she was doing much better and she is still doing good up to now. I am so happy she is doing better as we have had her over 10 years as I got here from my brother when she was about 1-1/2 years old. We have had my black Lab/Border Collie since he was 6 months and he will be 9 in a month. I also worried how Jack the black one ( he is 100 lbs) would act if we lost Alley. But thankfully both are doing very good right now. I even notice my girl Alley having more energy doing the day. This med called Galliprant has really helped her. And these guys are my best buddies since I am retired on disability I spend a lot of my time with them. They are a big part of my family and I love them very much. Ron

View attachment 682658

View attachment 682659

Had a Yellow Lab myself, what an incredible dog she was . . .

At 14 years of age, she was starting to show signs of old age catching up with her, lost sight in one of her eyes, and her hearing was not not what it used to be ( she never told me she couldn't hear anymore ), and that was right about the time I was selling my house and looking to move . . . wanted a place with a bit of land. Finally sold the house, and found a new place that I fell in love with - 4 acres of land, and a small shop on the property to boot ! !

When I got her there, and she got the ability to wander around a bit ( she was an outside dog, caged at night - coyotes in the area ) and let free to wander the yard while I was home and outside. This new found freedom seemed to peak her interest and she lived an additional 2 1/2 with me to the ripe old age of 16 1/2 ! !

Hopefully, you might have a number of additional years to enjoy the company of your little girl Alley . . . she's a sweet looking pup ! ! !

Love the dogs they are family to me
X2
So glad Alley is doing better!! :D :thumbsup:
As an only child, I had the honor of having a champion Doberman Pinscher named Count as a constant companion.
Fast forward to 1990, a friend of mine who knew nothing about dogs got a black Lab puppy and I was always giving him advice about what to get him for safe toys and food, training, etc. When he decided to move to an apartment, that didn't allow pets (shows the disconnect between him and his dog) he offered his 6 month old black Lab to me. I was renting a house with a yard, and obviously knew about dogs. I immediately renamed the dog "Bud" (from Bernard) and started training him right away. Same 1st and last letters, so it wouldn't be too different for the dog.
Anyway, being single, I spent my free time with Bud and he was very eager to learn and easy to train. One of the best tricks he did was to sit, let me put a dog bone biscuit across on top of his nose, and he would leave it there until I gave the command and then Bud would flip it in the air and catch it, and eat it.
Another (of MANY) things we would do is I would take him to a wide open green space, make him sit or lie down, walk 50 yards or so away and drop a retrieving dummy or toy along the way. I would call him to me and he had to pass up the toy right in the path to come to me. Once he came to me and sat, I would release him with a command and he would run get his toy...
Bud lived to 13, and he is the best friend I'll ever have. His ashes in his oak urn are going in my "box" when my time comes.
We had a chocolate Lab, Cocoa, and she had a few years with Bud before he passed. We had her cremated too.
Now I have 3 Lab mixes, a brother and sister Tony and Bitty, 2 of 6 we rescued. The 3rd is Laney who my wife found trying to cross a busy 6 lane street in downtown New Orleans as a 3 month old puppy.
Bud the day I got him:
15430700098288933644644225728344.jpg

Bud a few months later:
1543070098537486293111373567176.jpg

Water retrieving in heavy currents:
15430701553196080425955190206453.jpg

Posing for Christmas photos my mom took and surprised me with:
15430702292916767724756422166079.jpg

And my 3 Lab mutts I have now:
20181028_192042.jpg

20181028_192218.jpg

X2
So glad Alley is doing better!! :D :thumbsup:
As an only child, I had the honor of having a champion Doberman Pinscher named Count as a constant companion.
Fast forward to 1990, a friend of mine who knew nothing about dogs got a black Lab puppy and I was always giving him advice about what to get him for safe toys and food, training, etc. When he decided to move to an apartment, that didn't allow pets (shows the disconnect between him and his dog) he offered his 6 month old black Lab to me. I was renting a house with a yard, and obviously knew about dogs. I immediately renamed the dog "Bud" (from Bernard) and started training him right away. Same 1st and last letters, so it wouldn't be too different for the dog.
Anyway, being single, I spent my free time with Bud and he was very eager to learn and easy to train. One of the best tricks he did was to sit, let me put a dog bone biscuit across on top of his nose, and he would leave it there until I gave the command and then Bud would flip it in the air and catch it, and eat it.
Another (of MANY) things we would do is I would take him to a wide open green space, make him sit or lie down, walk 50 yards or so away and drop a retrieving dummy or toy along the way. I would call him to me and he had to pass up the toy right in the path to come to me. Once he came to me and sat, I would release him with a command and he would run get his toy...
Bud lived to 13, and he is the best friend I'll ever have. His ashes in his oak urn are going in my "box" when my time comes.
We had a chocolate Lab, Cocoa, and she had a few years with Bud before he passed. We had her cremated too.
Now I have 3 Lab mixes, a brother and sister Tony and Bitty, 2 of 6 we rescued. The 3rd is Laney who my wife found trying to cross a busy 6 lane street in downtown New Orleans as a 3 month old puppy.
Bud the day I got him:
View attachment 682695
Bud a few months later:
View attachment 682698
Water retrieving in heavy currents:
View attachment 682699
Posing for Christmas photos my mom took and surprised me with:
View attachment 682700
And my 3 Lab mutts I have now:
View attachment 682701
View attachment 682702

Beautiful Labs you have. I want to get a chocolate Lab one day. Alley is the sweetest dog you could ever want and Jack my black one is just as nice. Neither dog would hurt a flea. Labs are such nice friendly family dogs. I had 2 Boxers as a kid growing up and they were also the nicest dogs you could want. Myself I love dogs and get pissed off when I see someone treat a dog mean. These two really make my day. Ron

We recently got a new family pet, boy is she growing fast. Got her at 14 weeks old and she was pretty small now a couple months later she is getting huge! She’s great with the kids just an all around good dog very loving and compassionate.

506BE3D3-F05E-433D-ADFD-5C56B4EE2FB6.jpeg 30D418C4-83CA-4360-9889-B9D3A2349030.jpeg 093CD466-E5F8-4538-9384-70FBAF7587EF.jpeg

All the best to you and the 'kids' Ron! If the meds can maintain/improve their quality of life then it's well worth it.

(Someone else here wanted me to pass along their best wishes since they're not so good at typing..)
20180903_180825.jpg

Seems like yesterday, I brought this pain in the *** Lab home, my kids said I needed to have a dog again......5years old now....

That is why I did not want a dog....
SHh
hhhhhhh!... Sonny loves this guy. he still has his nuts, looking for a worthy bitch.

Auto Transport Service
Back