• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My brother breaks in the 9's with his 64 Fury.

383man

Local time
6:38 PM
Reaction score
Saturday I went to the track to watch my brother run in a NSS class with his 64 Fury that he just put a new hood on. I did not take my car as I was broke and could not afford to run my car this weekend. His 64 has been huvering around 10.0's for a good year and he broke into the 9's this weekend as the air was pretty good and he kept picking up each round. He went 10.20 spinning off the trailer. Then 10.10 and then 10.01. He was dailed 10.00 and was a tad late and had to run it out the back door and ran 9.96 @ 135 mph. He was unhappy he lost but happy it broke in the 9's as now he wants to keep tunning and get deeper in the 9's but what drag racer dont want to go faster ? Ron

409640770.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the old hood. He had a tunnel ram on it with the old eng and when he built this eng he went with the Mod Man intake so he could go to the stock size scoop as we both like it better with the smaller stock scoop hood. Its a 400 stroker thats about 500 cubes with Big Indy EZ heads and two Eddy carbs. Ron

409495718.gif

is that the infamous SLED CITY HOOD that never arrived or somebody elses hemi hood?

It sure is not a sled city hood. Ron

The lower profile of the new hood would get you a tenth! Lol

Looks great, runs great, what more could you ask for? I'm looking forward to the day that I happen to run into you guys at one of the local tracks!

Looks great, runs great, what more could you ask for? I'm looking forward to the day that I happen to run into you guys at one of the local tracks!

Is that a joke?
Or do you really believe a lower scoop would be better than the taller scoop?

Is that a joke?
Or do you really believe a lower scoop would be better than the taller scoop?

I would think the aerodynamics of the new hood would be much better. My wife had a 92 Miata at one time with the big pop up headlights. When you were driving on the highway and popped up the headlights you could instantly feel the aerodynamic drag.

Great looking 64.

Hell, i was there saturday. Saw jack . Saw Gary make a run. Didnt see your car and was wondering why not. They had a good mopar turnout. It was a good show. I need to properly introduce myself next time I see you

Whys that Ron?
Did you have a bad experience with sled city?

Yes he did have alot of hassle with Sled City. He did finally give my brother his money back. So I will leave it at that. This hood he bought from a place in Flordia and I forgot the name of the company but it is a very nice hood. Ron

- - - Updated - - -

Hell, i was there saturday. Saw jack . Saw Gary make a run. Didnt see your car and was wondering why not. They had a good mopar turnout. It was a good show. I need to properly introduce myself next time I see you

I drove up with my buddy in his black 65 Dodge Coronet. We saw Jack and his son and talked to them for a bit. I was just low on cash this month as I am saving for Carlisle and really could not afford to race my 63 unless I dug into my Carlisle stash. And I have already registered my car for the Carlisle show field so I did not want to chance racing and breaking anything. I will race again later this year but most likely not until September as I hate racing when its real hot out. You many have saw me at the track as I am the 57 year old guy with a cane as it helps with my bad knees and back. Of course after I got there I wished I had brought my car as I hate to have to watch racing and not be racing. Thanks for all the kind replies. Ron

- - - Updated - - -

You know we did not even think about that as he felt like me about it as we felt the smaller stock size scoop would look better then the large scoop. But it does make sense that it would catch alot of air and maybe slow it down some. Ron

Great accomplishment for your brother's 64. Nice looking Fury.

You know we did not even think about that as he felt like me about it as we felt the smaller stock size scoop would look better then the large scoop. But it does make sense that it would catch alot of air and maybe slow it down some. Ron

I don't know if it would. All the air on the larger scoop would be interning the engine compartment and out the bottom of the car. Or did the hood just have openings large enough for just the carbs. If so it would act as a parachute of sorts.

Anyway, he's in the 9's! Wish I had a 9 sec. car...

Auto Transport Service
Back