• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My daughter, the veterinary nurse called me with this crazy story.

SteveSS

Local time
6:23 AM
Reaction score
The Denver Animal Hospital got a call at the end of the day Wednesday about a cat with a broken leg. The cat was 175 miles away in Glenwood Springs, CO. An older couple was pet sitting this indoor/outdoor cat for their friends and the cat hadn't shown up for 12 days. The owners said that was not that unusual. So when it did show up with a broken leg they tried to reach the owners. No luck the owners were on some 3-week bicycle excursion and there was no service where they were. The pet sitters called the hospital and the staff moved things around and said they could get the cat into surgery at 7:00 am the next morning.

When my daughter arrived at 7:00 there was a message from the sitters at 4:30 am. The man had hit a Black Bear on the highway and totaled the car. He was getting his wife to bring him the other car but he would be late and could he still come? The hospital took pity and said yes, just get here safely. The man arrived with the cat and it was taken into surgery right away. The recommended treatment was to amputate the cat's left rear leg. The sitter was certainly reticent to make that kind of decision on someone else's cat and asked if he could wait until 1:30 pm to try to reach the owners. He tried and tried but had no luck. The amputation went forward and my daughter said it was definitely the right decision.

Being animal lovers at the hospital they asked about the bear. It didn't make it. His Prius was totaled, airbags went off and everything, so the nurses turned their attention to the pet sitter. He said he was fine although he was a man in his 70's. Lesson 1: Don't hit a full-grown Black Bear with a Prius. Lesson 2: If you can't be reached you better trust your pet sitter.

Those sitters are bad news, to much bad luck, they wouldn’t get near my cats.

Auto Transport Service
Back