• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first big earthquake

67 B-body

Local time
5:00 PM
Reaction score
Just felt a 5.1 Earthquake in SoCal........ This is my last night here (working in the area), and everything started moving around under my feet!!!! I'm one block from Disney Land,,,,, Spend every evening walking around Downtown Disney......
The news is saying a BIGGER one might be on the way within hours or tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had some when I lived in Reno. The very first one I ever experienced I was wasted and when the ground shook I thought it was me stumbling. Didn't even realized it was an earthquake 'til the next morning when my bed buddy told me. lol

Yeah, it's a creepy feeling isn't it. I remember the 89 quake in CA quite well.

I lived in Culver city (west LA) from 1980 to 1995 and experienced many including the big Northridge quake in 94, That made me move a few months later.

We had a 5.4 in 2008 and a 5.4 in 1968. I was in the same house for both of them.

I was at the kitchen table for the 1968 one and mom yelled at me to quit shaking the table ... in 2008 I was sleeping and my wife woke me and told me to quit shaking the bed.

Why does it always have to be me ???? :)

The 1968 Illinois earthquake (a "New Madrid event")[SUP][4][/SUP] was the largest recorded earthquake in the U.S. Midwestern state of Illinois. Striking at 11:02 a.m. on November 9, it measured 5.4 on the Richter scale.[SUP][1][/SUP]Although there were no fatalities, the event caused considerable structural damage to buildings, including the toppling of chimneys and shaking in Chicago, the region's largest city. The earthquake was one of the most widely felt in U.S. history, affecting 23 states over an area of 580,000 square miles (1,500,000 km[SUP]2[/SUP]). In studying its cause, scientists discovered the Cottage Grove Fault in the Southern Illinois Basin.
Within the region, millions felt the rupture. Reactions to the earthquake varied: some people near the epicenter did not react to the shaking, while others panicked. A future earthquake in the region is extremely likely; in 2005, seismologists and geologists estimated a 90% chance of a magnitude 6–7 tremor before 2055, likely originating in the Wabash Valley seismic zone on the Illinois–Indiana border or the New Madrid fault zone.

The 2008 Illinois earthquake was one of the largest earthquakes ever recorded in the state of Illinois, measuring a magnitude of 5.4.[SUP][2][/SUP] It occurred at 4:37:00am CDT (9:37:00 UTC) on April 18 within the Wabash Valley Seismic Zone at a depth of 11.6 km. It was centered near West Salem, Illinois and Mount Carmel, Illinois (the affected area is west of Terre Haute, Indiana and Vincennes, Indiana; east of St. Louis, Missouri; and northwest of Evansville, Indiana), specifically 38.450°N, 87.890°W,[SUP][3][/SUP] and felt as far as 450 miles (724 km) away.[SUP][4][/SUP] Tremors were felt as far west as Nebraska[SUP][5][/SUP] and Kansas City,[SUP][6][/SUP] as far south asAtlanta,[SUP][7][/SUP] as far east as Kitchener, Ontario[SUP][8][/SUP] and West Virginia,[SUP][9][/SUP] and as far north as the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.[SUP][10][/SUP] The earthquake was felt so far away, compared to earthquakes in other regions, because the old, rigid bedrock beneath much of the Midwest allows the tremor to propagate further.[SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][9][/SUP]
The earthquake epicenter was located in the Wabash Valley Seismic Zone, which is adjacent to the more famous New Madrid Seismic Zone.[SUP][11][/SUP]

I was working in the Seattle area during the Nisqually quake. I was driving my work van down a highway near Bellevue when it hit. I first thought holy crap, I've got a wheel coming off the van. I pulled to the side of the road and stopped, the van continued to shake like hell for another 20+ seconds. When I saw all of the street lights and power lines jumping and dancing around I realized what was happening. Very disorienting. There was a lot of damage to the older brick buildings in the older parts of Seattle but amazingly no fatalities. About 400 people had mostly minor injuries from falling debris. The quake did some damage to the Alaskan Way Viaduct, a major elevated highway through Seattle. The Viaduct is still in the process of being replaced with a tunnel.

Just a bump. I usually roll over and go back to sleep....:icon_silent:

We had a 5.4 in 2008 and a 5.4 in 1968. I was in the same house for both of them.

I was at the kitchen table for the 1968 one and mom yelled at me to quit shaking the table ... in 2008 I was sleeping and my wife woke me and told me to quit shaking the bed.

Why does it always have to be me ???? :)

Doesn't say much for your rhythm. :D

5.4 is a no biggy, just a tremor here... still kind of different, if you didn't grow up around an area, that has them frequently & use to getting them... we are always one quake away from another big one here in Calif.

Yeah, it's a creepy feeling isn't it. I remember the 89 quake in CA quite well.

Was at Moffett Field going thru an engine repair school. You literally could not stand without holding on to something! Also experienced a 6.5 on the island of Adak, Alaska. Growing up in CA, anything less than a 6.0 doesn't concern me. Now tornado sirens? They scare the bejesus out of me...especially when you don't see the tornado, just hear the siren! Would rather ride out an earthquake any day!

Auto Transport Service
Back