• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First Muscle Car! (story so far)

OzzyOzB

Local time
10:19 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone and thanks for letting me join your group. I'm new to forums, and so I may be a bit clunky at discussions. Got the Wife's okay to get a muscle car (one!) so I decided I'd better make it count. I spent over a year perusing the internet and changing my mind A LOT on what to get. I wanted something cool but something there weren't 100,000 more of out there (camaro, mustang, etc). In college I drove an old '56 Hemi DeSoto that I picked up for $500. So I started searching for a Hemi Muscle car, but they were all outrageously priced (or correctly priced I suppose). Finally I had the idea of searching for one that was not properly listed. That's when (pouring through pages and pages of anything that had Coronet in the heading) I stumbled across the car that was just listed as a "1969 Dodge Coronet". It didn't say R/T, or 440, or 500, or Super Bee, so it didn't pop up when searching for a Super Bee, etc... Inside the description were all the details I needed, and the VIN# confirmed it. This was a 1969 2DHT Hemi Automatic SUPERBEE! Pretty much all original. Holy Moly! It was still a bit pricey, but not bad. I mean, the guy knew what he had, but I was pretty sure that I was probably the only buyer. It took a few months to all come together. After several e-mails, and phone calls, and some additional pics, it looked very legit. I had the LemonSquad.com inspect it for me, since it was far away, and despite having sat for a few years, it was good enough to buy. So after further negotiations we struck a nice "middle ground" deal, and after a few more weeks, I was able to get it shipped from New York to California. When it got here we had to spend about an hour just to get it running enough to limp the last few blocks to my house. And yes, it certainly has had it's fair share of surprises of things that were wrong with it. Sometimes it'll make you wonder if you got a good deal or not (LOL). I wanted to keep it all original, but there was no way to really make it road worthy as a daily driver without replacing worn out parts. That being said, it's still "mostly" as original as I can keep it.
Anyhow, it's been getting resurrected for the past several months (engine, suspension, brakes, shocks, starter, plus some electrical work), but it should be street ready in a week or two. I'm so excited. It still needs a lot of love, and that's where you guys come in. I need advice on things, as they come up. Anyhow, it needs minor body work, the interior is 50 years old, and ELECTRIC windows don't work or barely work, and stuff like that which can be overhauled over the next year or two as I'm driving it around. (it does have the fender tag, the original build sheet, and a 2005 Galen Govier report. yeah!)
1969-dodge-coronet.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. There are some great people here that are always willing to give advice and some of it is actually helpful!
Feel free to look around and check out the many sub-forums on the site. People are always posting questions that they think are impossible to answer but those miracles sometimes do happen.
There are some members that are into factory correct cars, there are drag racers, some autocross guys, some street racers, guys that just like to go to shows and cruise....all sorts of people.
Again, welcome....

Folsom 4 (2).JPG

Welcome from Alabama, the 68-69 Superbee's and R/T's are beautiful cars. Yours with the Hemi makes it that much more awesome. Keep the power windows, they may be a pain, but make it that much more rare.

Welcome from central Illinois! Congrats on scoring that nice Hemi Bee!

Welcome to the forum. There are some great people here that are always willing to give advice and some of it is actually helpful!
Feel free to look around and check out the many sub-forums on the site. People are always posting questions that they think are impossible to answer but those miracles sometimes do happen.
There are some members that are into factory correct cars, there are drag racers, some autocross guys, some street racers, guys that just like to go to shows and cruise....all sorts of people.
Again, welcome....

View attachment 1232774
Thanks Kern Dog, That is ONE SWEET '69 Charger you've got there!!! :)

Welcome from Alabama, the 68-69 Superbee's and R/T's are beautiful cars. Yours with the Hemi makes it that much more awesome. Keep the power windows, they may be a pain, but make it that much more rare.
You have a SUPER BIRD! That's AMAZING!!! :)

Ha! That's Great! ...exxxcellent colors on that sweet '68 R/T 440. I actually wanted a 4-speed, but sometimes you just gotta take the smoking good deal that comes your way, and don't complain. LOL -Cheers :)
Has your 69 got the air grabber option with those scoops? You got the elephant, so the transmission really doesn't matter that much.

Has your 69 got the air grabber option with those scoops? You got the elephant, so the transmission really doesn't matter that much.
It has the N96 Option, but it's missing. ...along with the original F3 Frost Poly Hood. The Hood does have the holes cut into it underneath the back of the scoops, so it looks like I should be able to pick up a Black AirGrabber and install it sometime down the road. I see they're like $900 for reproductions.

Welcome from Western New York, nice score!

Ozzyozb.......I Know the car well and know the gentleman that originally restored it.....if you want more information let me know I will try to put you in touch with him here in NY ..,...send me a pm

Welcome to the site, you will like it around here. I have one of those things, minus the Hemi, in my garage as well.

20201210_085233.jpg

Welcome from Missouri!! Very nice!!

Auto Transport Service
Back