• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First Paint Job in 20 Years - Axalta Paint?

Local time
6:25 PM
Reaction score
It looks like Axalta has several single stage paints (it's what the local shop caries)...... wondering what people might recommend for a fairly novice painter (4 cars, 4 race/demo cars) with reasonable, but rusty skills?
Considering that I will probably be sanding and polishing the paint out, which paint in your experience is a good balance of cost, durability, and forgiving in application? Paint colors will be solid, non-metallics, bright red and bright white.

Metal work is done and Ful Poxy primer just applied. Bondo and filler primer next... and starting to look at Nason paint, probably to be applied next summer as it looks like I am out of the weather window for this year.

Any insights and experience appreciated!

Last edited:
It looks like Axalta has several single stage paints (it's what the local shop caries)...... wondering what people might recommend for a fairly novice painter (4 cars, 4 race/demo cars) with reasonable, but rusty skills?
Considering that I will probably be sanding and polishing the paint out, which paint in your experience is a good balance of cost, durability, and forgiving in application? Paint colors will be solid, non-metallics, bright red and bright white.

Metal work is done and Ful Poxy primer just applied. Bondo and filler primer next... and starting to look at Nason paint, probably to be applied next summer as it looks like I am out of the weather window for this year.

I'll be watching responses here. I used to do restorations for a living but that was 30 years ago. Last painting I did was in 98 and 99. I'll be getting back into it and just want to get back up to speed.

Nothing wrong with single stage paint.
Most cars from that era were single stage. Higher end cars got the lacquer.

I used PPG Concept SS urethane to paint my ERA Cobra about 10 years ago and it came out great. I hear of a lot of restoration painters talking it up, particularly in non-metallic colors. Not familiar with Axalta.

You might try going to the Auto Body Forum and ask about it there. I used to frequent it years ago.

Autobodystore Forums

The last car I painted before the Cobra was lacquer on my old Corvette. The preparation, spraying, and color sanding/buffing the urethane was not significantly different, but the safety gear, equipment and a ventilated enclosure was way more work and expense.

Nason single stage urethane is decent paint. Biggest difference between the budget paints and more expensive top of the line stuff is coverage or how many coats it takes to cover your body work. Not a big deal at all on an all over that is fully primered one solid color.

News flash. Axalta is owned by DuPont now. Not clear on the merge and who bought who out.

News flash. Axalta is owned by DuPont now. Not clear on the merge and who bought who out.

Ya, like 10 years ago news flash :lol:

I used Dupont Centauri on all of the serious (non circle track/demo) paint jobs I did, so when it disappeared I noted it. I found Centauri pretty easy to work with as a novice..... hoping Axalta / Nason single stages are similar, but I am just not knowledgeable on what has changed in 20+ years (not that I knew that much 20 years ago either).

Yes, Axalta is DuPont renamed - the parent company changed the name years ago but I don't recall why.
Same "umbrella" company has the Nason & Standox brands as well; a buddy of mine is a Tech Rep for them, and I've shot all 3 over the years.
Nason's as easy to work with as the old Centari. Same jobber should handle all 3 brands.

I used Dupont Centauri on all of the serious (non circle track/demo) paint jobs I did, so when it disappeared I noted it. I found Centauri pretty easy to work with as a novice..... hoping Axalta / Nason single stages are similar, but I am just not knowledgeable on what has changed in 20+ years (not that I knew that much 20 years ago either).
There is really not much difference ,and centari and Rm were nice to use.

Ditzler, Cil barn paint , sherwin williams well those sat in a corner.

The new stuff is okay. I used ppg daily till we changed out to Sikkens a couple months ago

Yeah - last DuPont paint I purchased was beck in the mid 90s. I’ve used PPG since other than for DuPont PrepSol so obviously I haven’t kept up with them.

Centauri was an acrylic enamel paint.

Odd side note -it had a really funny smell to it.

It was good stuff, but a single stage urethane will be more durable.

Auto Transport Service
Back