• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my fitech update

magvan

Local time
3:43 PM
Reaction score
update on mine.....
i run a ford fuel reservoir (recommended by many different people)and lift pump to pull fuel from the tank and feed the reservoir that feeds the high pressure pump. so now it is set up like a factory efi system.
it nows seems to start at all angles or fuel tank levels.

put some miles on it and... im not real impressed, it is nothing close to any of my other efi vehicles. going down the road it is mostly ok
it is a stock 440 with headers and performer intake.
with a carburetor it got 12.5mpg, idled smooth, always started, never randomly died.
with the efi all self tuned to factory settings it gets 7mpg, has a rough idle, and will randomly die and might restart. i adjusted the target fuel air ratio close to stoich at idle and light cruise and got the mileage up to 9.3 will still randomly die and still has rough idle.
im am about to take it all off and put the carburetor back on.
i have 2 other systems here to install on my other 2 mopars but after the bs this one has given me, i doubt that they will get installed.

what systems did you buy and have you contacted FiTech? What Fuel Pressure are running to the system?

I've been running the FiTech since June and same thing, I'm not happy with it at all. After multiple conversations with their tech support I have it tuned so that it starts OK and idles decent, but performance and mileage are underwhelming. There's a reason the price is half of the other guys....

mine is the original system. i bought 3 of them a year ago. goefi 4 600hp systems. but have only installed the 1 system earlier this year. i can tell you that it never just started and ran like the videos show. i spent 2 days off and on to get it to run.
i am running the walbro 255lph pump that they used to sell as the inline pump. i see now they use a bosch pump or probably a copy since it doesnt say bosch on the website.

it is set up like an oem style system with a lift pump from the tank to a accumulator tank & filter that feeds the high pressure frame mount pump, everything is hard line (except for connections), return line back to the accumulator tank and them back in the top of the fuel tank with a tube that goes to the bottom of the tank to keep the fuel from foaming. same way ive set up efi conversions on other cars ive done.

yes i have called or emailed "tech" a few times as soon as this last monday (but no response yet)

i have to say it runs pretty good while driving, but idling and mileage suck and it has a tiny flat spot just off idle.

things i can tell you...
it is set up with the holley mopar linkage adapter. you have to clearance the holley adapter because the throttle shafts are longer than a holley and dont let the bracket sit flush.

with the holley adapter, i get 89% throttle opening according to the TPS sensor, so really the pin hole needs to be just slightly closer to the throttle shaft to get full throttle.

the kick down/TV linkage needed to be slightly lengthened to be adjusted correctly. by lengthened i mean longer than you can unscrew the adjustment from the upper pivot to the carburetor pin. (performer 440 intake related? could be, i dont know)

apparently the mopar ignition system is noisy, you will see a fault code for this everytime you check the fault codes. i have talked to other people that have said the same thing, they fixed it by changing to a GM module

the easiest way to get your 12volts during crank and run is to install a starter relay from a later model that has the extra terminal next to the starter cable bolt on terminal (im sure alot of you have spent time trying to figure this out, i know i wasted alot of time on it)

That's too bad, I have heard too many complaints with FiTech, I'll stick with my six pack. :(

Thanks for posting, I have been watching fitech stuff, perhaps Its not quite there yet. It seems the hardware is there, Do you think it is the software in the system that is holding it back?

This is interesting. Up until this thread I had read nothing but favorable feedback for FITECH. It's good to hear both sides!

The a-body forum has a lengthy thread going. From reading it, I understand that an in-tank fuel pump setup with a quality pump with return is ideal. I think Aeromotive was mentioned as preferred. Also, msd distributor to properly get an adjustable lockout and also better insulated from ignition noise that this system is sensitive to. It's a good read.

update on mine.....
i run a ford fuel reservoir (recommended by many different people)and lift pump to pull fuel from the tank and feed the reservoir that feeds the high pressure pump. so now it is set up like a factory efi system.
it nows seems to start at all angles or fuel tank levels.

put some miles on it and... im not real impressed, it is nothing close to any of my other efi vehicles. going down the road it is mostly ok
it is a stock 440 with headers and performer intake.
with a carburetor it got 12.5mpg, idled smooth, always started, never randomly died.
with the efi all self tuned to factory settings it gets 7mpg, has a rough idle, and will randomly die and might restart. i adjusted the target fuel air ratio close to stoich at idle and light cruise and got the mileage up to 9.3 will still randomly die and still has rough idle.
im am about to take it all off and put the carburetor back on.
i have 2 other systems here to install on my other 2 mopars but after the bs this one has given me, i doubt that they will get installed.
What is the price on selling them interested

So did some testing after work today and it seems that the iac valve is bad. Went bad in 300 miles

i hope the part is a field replaceable unit.

my MSD Atomic had a MAP sensor die and it was a quick swap.

MSD sent out a free replacement part asap. Not sure if they do things like that since Holley acquired MSD.

most of these kits have off the shelf GM parts. nothing special.

the IAC appears to be the biggest drama people have with the FItech that ive seen.

if you get tired of it let me know, ill buzz over and take it off your hands.

Auto Transport Service
Back