• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My friend bought a new tire changer for his shop....

YY1

Local time
7:19 PM
Reaction score
...and I got the dregs.

New to me Coats rim clamp.

Dirty but works good.

Now I can do my Dakota 17x9 and any deep dish and mag/aluminum/chrome wheels without damage.

Like the balancer, it will pay for it's self after about eight sets of wheels/tires I don't have to take elsewhere and pay for.

IMG_20190803_204326.jpg

If anyone's interested in my antique Atlas 10-10 knock off- I'll take what I gave for it, $75.

[QUOTE="YY1, post: 911338539, member:

Like the balancer, it will pay for it's self after about eight sets of wheels/tires I don't have to take elsewhere and pay for.

View attachment 821373[/QUOTE]
You got THAT right!!
Last trip to my local hi perf tire store, had two new drag radials mounted and balanced on two Brand New torque thrust. $40 for six minutes work.
Wish i could make $400/hour!

It was nice for having access to the auto hobby shop when I was in the A.F. for all kinds of stuff.

Last time I took two good used tires and two rims with crappy tires to get swapped, the local "tires plus" franchise wanted $48 each just to dismount and mount without even balancing and that was with me taking the bad tires with me!

Hell, the FCA dealership jacks you $59 just to rotate tires on top of the $50 oil change.

They ask you if you want it, but don't tell you it more than doubles the price until it's time to pay.

Some of these new machines are amazing for the tires with a 1 inch sidewallls! friends truck shop has a jumbo that can do up to 22" rims,does my 19.5 alcoa rims in a snap!

I think this one will go to 20".

One of the reasons for the new purchase as it will go to 22 or 23, plus it has a "third hand" bar that helps hold the opposite side of the bead down.

I'll be honest, it was a bit of a learning curve as it's a totally different mechanical operation.
Once I got it, though, I got it.

That seemingly little "bill" on the "duck head" takes all the force of the demount tool vs the bead!

I'm pretty tickled as my Atlas says it can to 17" (I was able to dis-mount one of my 17x9 Dakota rims but that took quite a bit of fiddling including turning it over a couple of times) but it has trouble with anything wider than 6.5 or anything with a tall center, like a road wheel or a keystone.

Had an old manual tire changer but thought I wasn't going to be able to stay in my house and sold it....but found a shop that breaks down a tire for 5 bucks each. My changer wasn't too good for the wheels with a lot of positive offset if I put a pad on the base, I could flip the wheel and at least break the beads.

Last time I took two good used tires and two rims with crappy tires to get swapped, the local "tires plus" franchise wanted $48 each just to dismount and mount without even balancing and that was with me taking the bad tires with me!
That is just outright thievery .
Hell, the FCA dealership jacks you $59 just to rotate tires on top of the $50 oil change.

They ask you if you want it, but don't tell you it more than doubles the price until it's time to pay.

These machines came just in time as I was loosing the battle of the ..........BAR!

As long as people pay those prices,,,,,,,,,they will go UP

Yep, that 10-10 could seriously shatter someone's wrist.

I learned on a 20-20 back in the 80's, and it had the same "wrist breaker" feature.

Auto Transport Service
Back