• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My friend just bought a 72 440 Road Runner GTX.

chargervert

Local time
12:25 AM
Reaction score
My friend just bought a decent 72 Road Runner GTX U code 440 automatic car. It is coded for an air grabber hood, but has a regular Road Runner hood on it. It's a nice driver. Pretty rare car.
20210923_075600.jpeg

Nice. 8 3/4 or Dana?

Automatic car so it has an 8 3/4,with a rear sway bar. It has all the torque boxes just like 71 440 and Hemi cars have.

I've seen a few autos with Dana's so I just had to ask. :thumbsup:

Many people consider these U code 72 Dodge Charger rallye cars and Plymouth Road Runner GTX cars to be the last Mopar muscle cars built. I know that they also built two V code 72 Charger Rallye cars,and atleast one V code 72 Road Runner GTX. There was another 72 V code 4 speed Road Runner GTX magazine test car as well, but it has never been found so the sunroof automatic car remains the only surviving example of the V code Road Runner GTX. These were cool cars. Although the Road Runner GTX U code option,and the U code rallye Charger option was available for the 73/74 model years,things like 4 speed manual transmissions behind 440 engines,air grabber hoods and Dana 60 rear axles were gone forever, which is why most people consider these cars the last Mopar b body muscle cars.

Many people consider these U code 72 Dodge Charger rallye cars and Plymouth Road Runner GTX cars to be the last Mopar muscle cars built. I know that they also built two V code 72 Charger Rallye cars,and atleast one V code 72 Road Runner GTX. There was another 72 V code 4 speed Road Runner GTX magazine test car as well, but it has never been found so the sunroof automatic car remains the only surviving example of the V code Road Runner GTX. These were cool cars. Although the Road Runner GTX U code option,and the U code rallye Charger option was available for the 73/74 model years,things like 4 speed manual transmissions behind 440 engines,air grabber hoods and Dana 60 rear axles were gone forever, which is why most people consider these cars the last Mopar b body muscle cars.

When new, I’m sure that compression drop was pretty noticeable at the time. I’ve always thought ‘71 was the last year for Ford and Chrysler. For that era anyway.

Quality gasoline was going away at that time, the compression ratio drop was probably a blessing in disguise in the years after that!

NICE!

I've been trying to buy a 72 RR/GTX 440 4 speed "radio delete" car from some folks I know for a few years now.

You don't see very many of them. I remember seeing a Hemi Orange 72 Road Runner GTX sunroof car at Carlisle. It was an automatic car, but loaded with options.

I had the opportunity to spend the day yesterday driving around in the 72 Road Runner GTX my friend bought. The car is what I would call a 20 footer. It has had lower rear quarter patch panels put on it,and I saw a small patch on the bottom of the right side inner wheel house where it meets the trunk floor pan. Other than that it is very solid overall. I cannot tell you how well this car runs and drives. It starts right up, no knocking ticking or smoking and runs very docile in normal driving conditions, but if you put your foot in it, it plants you in the seat like a good strong 440. The automatic transmission shifts crisp too. The suspension is tight,no clunks or rattles in the car at all. Everything works in the car,lights,gauges heat etc. The car has front and rear sway bars,torque boxes and a 3.55 sure grip axle. We threw it through some twisties on a few winding backroads and the cr handles really well! Overall the car is a really nice driver as is,and he plans to do some upgrades to make the car even better and drive the crap out of it!
Resized_20211003_130103.jpeg
Resized_20211003_130115.jpeg

My friend took the car on a four hour,200 mile round trip yesterday with absolutely no issues whatsoever! We drove it up to my friends house to help them put the body back on the funny car! It was a great day with great friends!
Resized_20211003_163443.jpeg
Resized_20211003_163449.jpeg
Resized_20211003_163503.jpeg
Resized_20211003_163735.jpeg

20211007_155201.jpg
I painted up a set of 15x7 original rallye wheels with original rings and caps for the car. He's not a fan of the police wheels with the dog dish hubcaps. This should change the whole look of the car! He was trying to negotiate a deal to get the original air grabber hood for the car back,they are still too far apart on it. Hopefully they can get the deal done and reunite the hood with the car.
20211006_121106.jpg
20211006_140007.jpg
20211007_120112.jpg

You don't see very many of them. I remember seeing a Hemi Orange 72 Road Runner GTX sunroof car at Carlisle. It was an automatic car, but loaded with options.

I had a black one just like it. All the options

IMG_1490.JPG

View attachment 1176780 I painted up a set of 15x7 original rallye wheels with original rings and caps for the car. He's not a fan of the police wheels with the dog dish hubcaps. This should change the whole look of the car! He was trying to negotiate a deal to get the original air grabber hood for the car back,they are still too far apart on it. Hopefully they can get the deal done and reunite the hood with the car. View attachment 1176764View attachment 1176765 View attachment 1176766
Do you plan to run the correct center caps for '72?
paradise1.jpg

full image

I personally like the cones better,but I know the later ones are correct,for now we are going to run the cones.

Auto Transport Service
Back